PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts???

bosco0633
12/29/2010, 04:32 PM
As some of you know, I have a 150 gal that I set up in September. I have finally placed the rocks where I wanted them and have the fish that I wanted. I have been into aquariums for over 18 years and over the past 8 years, away from the hobby.

I was waiting until my rocks colored up a little more before I added corals, however I am treating this as an excuse to refrain from going to fast. My problem in fish keeping has always been that I rush, so I have been taking my time with this tank.

Now, I sit watching my tank today, and it hits me like a sack of bricks.... I want a bigger tank, with sump as I am without sump currently. So I sit in my chair viewing my area, thinking what can I get away with here. Then it hits me, I have room in this cove that I built in the basement for a nice size custom tank.

60x48x24 That is something like 299.2 gallons. I would build the tank into a half wall and pillar that I already have to make it all blend. I am thinking that a 100 gal short standard tank for a sump.

I will run an ATO and RO/DI unit from the laundry room, trhough the cieling and into the sump.

This will be a year long project, buying piece by piece as I have the cash. I will build my own custom stand, with the assistance of my buddy who is a custom builder.

So I am just in the inital process, which is still a dream level but I want to be prepared and know exactly what to get.

the only problem that I see is that with a 5' length, lighting will be complicated.

Any thoughts on this idea, or am I crazy??? What will I do with my 150???

Any ideas on the sump design for a 100gal short

bosco0633
12/29/2010, 08:20 PM
anyone??

Fishfish0001
12/29/2010, 09:46 PM
You could use the 150 as a Frag tank, QT, FOWLR, etc. or just a sump. I say go for it :)

bosco0633
12/31/2010, 04:40 PM
so I have been really brain storming over the past few days.

I have decided to go ahead with this project. I want full setup and will not put it together until this time next year. I want to save up and purchase piece by piece. So I may hold of adding coras to my 150 until I am more clear about time frame.

I am considering a 60x48x24 299.2gal or a 60x36x30 280gal. I am not sure if a 4ft width is to much.

Sump, I am thinking glass forsure, maybe seomthing in the area of 4ft long so I could use some help on the proper tank. a 90 gal may be to tall, and a 75 to narrown. I was thinking about a 65 wide so it is not as tall.

I am going to run 3 sections for intake with skimmer and 2 reactors for phosban, carbon, and maybe a calcium reactor. The middle section will be a fuge and the last smallest section for the rerturn. Should I make a fourth section for the filter sock being the first section?? or can this go in with the skimmer section??

Now I need advice on lighting, power heads wave makers probes etc etc etc.

I want to have my design down to a science before I start purchasing all the goods. Also can anyone recommend how to plumb this or where to go for some help??