PDA

View Full Version : Bio-pellet questions about bacteria populations.

kv2wr1
12/30/2010, 07:58 AM
With the bio-pellet, I have heard that you have to periodically change them out when they shrink in size with new pellets. Is this true? Also, that a portion of the bacteria grows on the bio-pellets themselves. Is this true as well?

If both are true, when you replace the media, you would not have bacteria growing on them thus having a population drop of the bacteria overall. Would you then see a spike in phosphates and/or nitrates until the population got back to the number it was before? Would you have to dose a bacteria in the meantime like microbacter7 to compensate for the loss of bacteria on the newly replaced pellets so that you don't get a nitrate and/or phosphate spike?

Is the zeovit method similar or completely different?

romanr
12/30/2010, 02:21 PM
I marked a line on my reactor and plan to add more pellets when the line drops by about an inch which is roughly about 20% of the pellet volume in the reactor.

When I switched to the Katalyst pellets from NPX, I only kept about 10% of the NPX pellets to help colonize the new Katalyst pellets. Well, needless to say that wasn't enough to repopulate things fast enough and I ended up having to dose some Special Blend and MB7 to kick start the new pellets. Expect a PO4 & NO3 spike while things get back to normal.

So the moral of my story is, don't expect quick bacteria colinization on new pellets if you are replacing a considerable amount of the total media volume. And if you do, be ready to supplement with some bacteria products.