PDA

View Full Version : Finally Found Sweet Spot - Next Lighting Upgrade?

Mattik
12/30/2010, 12:30 PM
Well, after many many years in the hobby, I finally found the sweet spot, and I have many great and growing SPS, LPS and softies.

Some of my favorites are:

+ Duncan: Started w/ 4 heads, but now has +/- 100
+ Toadstool: about 6" accross - spawned a baby shoot that is now about 3" accross
+ Orange Monti cap: Started w/2" piece - now has several layers of 6"-8" pieces
+ Several nice mille's

So, why the lighting question?

Well, I'm about due for new bulbs anyway, and I've been thinking about boosting lighting a bit more to try for a little more growth.

Current Lights: Coralife 380W PC/MH Combo (250W Phoenix 14K + 2 65W PC's)

Potential Replacements:

2 X 250W MH + T5 Supplements
1 X 400W MH + T5 Supplements
Suggestions?

A couple of comments:

1. I really prefer to have MH in the mix. I really enjoy the look and I'm not sure I would be happy without them. Other than that, I'm interested in opinions.
2. Also, my tank is a tall tank - 26 high, and 36 long. As I keep a variety of corals, I want to be sure to get good light along the bottom.

Frogmanx82
12/30/2010, 03:59 PM
I would wait on LED to get in your price range if its not already. MH will go the way of PC lighting pretty quick. LED runs so much cooler yet all the shimmer of MH.

Mattik
12/30/2010, 06:04 PM
I've been looking at LED's all afternoon.

Any recommendations on what type to get?

I'm definitely not willing to pay into the thousands, but maybe $600-$800 would be OK.

Anemonebuff
12/30/2010, 06:33 PM
About $1200 you could get 2 AI's.

7hogwarts
12/30/2010, 07:27 PM
You get what you pay for. I'm a fan of AI!

grigsy
01/01/2011, 08:41 PM
MH will go the way of PC lighting pretty quick. LED runs so much cooler yet all the shimmer of MH.

That won't be the case, I assure you.
I get much better growth and shimmer with my halides than my buddy who has an AI fixture.

Even he agrees with me and feels halides are a better lighting choice.

grigsy
01/01/2011, 08:46 PM
I have many great and growing SPS, LPS and softies.

Current Lights: Coralife 380W PC/MH Combo (250W Phoenix 14K + 2 65W PC's)

Doesnt surprise me you have good growth with that Coralife unit. It is a nice system.

Not to mention, most people who use Phoenix 250 watt HQI bulbs tend to have good growth and color.

Save yourself some money - stick with what you got now and simply replace your bulbs with new ones if it time to do so.

It is already a great choice for reef lighting.