PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer break in?????

rockiestring
12/30/2010, 05:22 PM
Can someone explain to me how a protein skimmer breaks in? The only moveable part is the needle wheel. Supposedly, the reason I have all of the micro bubbles spewing out of my diffuser is that the skimmer isnt broke in. Huh? Ill tell you, I spent over $200 on the "super skimmer" (coralife) and I really dont want to watch micro bubbles clouding the whole tank. Can someone please help. Is this "break in" process really going to eliminate these micro bubbles once complete?
By the way, it's a hang on skimmer.... thanks guys.

C0rp
12/30/2010, 05:31 PM
Due to manufacturing processes, the skimmer will have "chemicals/oils/coatings/etc" that need to be broken down over time so that the skimmer can function as intended. Once that happens, the skimmer is then "broken in".

seapug
12/30/2010, 05:31 PM
The "break in" is the time it takes to get a biofilm coating on the skimmer body and plumbing. Usually takes a week or so and microbubbles are common during that time. It will also happen after you feed.

If it persists beyond that, make sure all the plumbing pieces are snug and the water level isn't too high in the skimmer column.

rockiestring
12/30/2010, 06:49 PM
ah ha! That makes sense! Is there anyway to speed the process up? I had an old tank that I sold but kept some live rock and started a smaller tank. Right now its been running for about 3 weeks with my old rock and some live sand. I think the tank is cycled...the only reading I have is nitrate a little high. Is there something I could add to help the skimming process out?

Gangous
12/30/2010, 06:54 PM
What if u clean ur skimmer does it need to be broke in together

thegrun
12/30/2010, 06:57 PM
What if u clean ur skimmer does it need to be broke in together

Cleaning a skimmer that is already broken in skimmer often slows down the amount of skimate produced, but most brands/models are back to full production in a day or two at the most.

firebirdcrzy
12/30/2010, 07:05 PM
Cleaning a skimmer that is already broken in skimmer often slows down the amount of skimate produced, but most brands/models are back to full production in a day or two at the most.

I have had the exact opposite results. I pull my skimmer offline about every 2 months and give it a good vinegar bath. I get the best skimming after a good cleaning and when skimmate production slow, it's time for another bath. I have noticed that when just cleaning the collection cup, it takes a few hours to start skimming again.

jasonw52
12/30/2010, 07:30 PM
Doing the vinegar bath is another way to accelerate the break in for the new skimmer...

rockiestring
12/30/2010, 07:39 PM
good info......thanks. I guess i'll just exercise patience like all saltwater activist do well.