PDA

View Full Version : How hard are the glass-holes overflows to DIY?

Baldwin
12/30/2010, 06:42 PM
I have only drilled a 20 gallon tank in the past, and I want to drill a 120-150 gallon tank on one of the smaller sides making it a peninsula tank and install a glass holes overflow with built in return. Do you all think this will be a big issue?

sjmantis
12/30/2010, 06:47 PM
Not hard at all. Im a lazy bastard and I got it done

Mike321
12/30/2010, 06:58 PM
its easy. I drilled 3 holes in the side of a 75 for my over flow without any problems.

redfishblewfish
12/30/2010, 07:38 PM
Very easy. Just go slow with no pressure. And you will have the best overflow....period!

Potsy
12/30/2010, 08:13 PM
I am, without a doubt, the least handy bloke in New Jersey, and I managed a glass-holes kit with ease. Keep water flowing over the bit, be patient, and let gravity do the work. My drill wobbled quite a bit but my hole was still relatively smooth.

cody6766
12/30/2010, 09:15 PM
I did it a while ago and had no trouble in my 40 breeder and my 20 long. Just watch the video on their site and act accordingly. It's cake.

seesick
12/30/2010, 09:43 PM
Take it slow and strait or you can have a glass shop do it of like 5 bucks a hole that’s what I was charged. If you decide to do it definitely use a diamond bit and there are not cheap, so if you just need to drill a few holes I would take it to a glass shop.

Overboard
12/30/2010, 09:51 PM
I definitely lack good "do it yourself" skills, but I tried a Glass-Holes drill bit on a 29 a couple of days ago and it was extremely easy. They have a video on their website that was helpful.

I had a LFS install a Glass-Holes overflow on a new 150 and it works great (should have done it myself now that I know how easy it is to drill the glass). I love the slim profile. Just make sure to keep the plumbing from the overflow as simple and direct as possible with no valves and as little horizontal run as possible. Made that mistake already, but Glass-Holes readily helpd me figure out a fix. Nice product.

Good luck!

iwishtofish
12/30/2010, 09:55 PM
Glass-holes overflows come with the diamond hole saws and templates to guide them. I found installing my 700gph overflow to be pretty easy. Minimal, even pressure, and keep the groove wet. Might want to use a cordless drill with a clutch that you can set really loose, in case the saw (bit) binds.

My "drilling thread": http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757242

rainydave
12/30/2010, 09:57 PM
I'll second all the comments on how easy the glass-holes kits are. I drilled 2 40s over the span of a couple of weeks. Both turned out great. I would not hesitate to buy one of their kits for my next tank.

meekz
12/30/2010, 11:26 PM
And if you have any questions you wanna ask the guys at glass holes, post on there forums. They are extremely fast at responding.

rainydave
12/30/2010, 11:37 PM
Plus, they send candy with each order shipped!

meekz
12/31/2010, 02:38 AM
Oh man how could I forget the candies. I remember telling myself they better send me a fun dip and they sure as hell did.

iwishtofish
12/31/2010, 07:17 AM
Plus, they send candy with each order shipped!

I was hoping for a T-shirt! Alas, not to be...

muttley000
12/31/2010, 07:21 AM
More as above, It couldn't be easier, and they are great to deal with.

Baldwin
12/31/2010, 08:07 AM
Ok, sounds easy enough. Since this tank is a bit larger than many of you mention would you still be willing to give it a shot?

Bandsaw
12/31/2010, 08:27 AM
I have a 75g 6 year old established tank that I would like to drill for an overflow.

Problem here is I can't turn the tank on it's side to keep wet. Any suggestions on drilling an established tank?

sirreal63
12/31/2010, 11:17 AM
I drilled 1/2" glass with the glass-holes kit and it was very easy. The overflow is noisy at first but in a week it became very quiet. Once it slimes up good it is just about the perfect overflow.

Mike321
12/31/2010, 03:02 PM
Baldwin- I would still drill the tank even if it is larger (and more expensive) it will be a little more nerve racking however larger tanks are easier to drill because of the thicker glass. I just recently drilled my new cube, and although it was a little more nerve racking than drilling the standard 75 gallon tank it was a piece of cake.

Bandsaw- I would use a spray bottle to keep the glass wet and cool, Use a template to keep the hole saw from jumping around scraping the glass, then once the cut is deep enough just drill without the template and have a friend spray the glass every couple of minutes to keep it cool.

Bandsaw
01/01/2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks Mike321. For glass chars and filings, have you had any experience is drilling established tanks and controlling the filings from entering the water? I was thinking of using putty or tape and taping a bag to the inside of the tank or using some kind of sticky putty and cover the hole on the inside.

I have a 4 year old BTA right under the overflow and don't want him to dine on glass filings for supper ;)