PDA

View Full Version : lights during cycle

fishforever
12/30/2010, 10:09 PM
Hi, just starting out and wondering if I should have my display tanks lights off or on during the cyclling of the tank? Need some advice as to what people do? Thanks

fishforever
12/31/2010, 01:05 AM
Nobody? Lights or no lights? Dont need all the cycling procedure just wondering if there is any advantage to having them off or on?

Michael
12/31/2010, 01:09 AM
No need to have them on, however I have mine on for an hour a day purely to look at the tank to ensure all equipment is operating etc, if you have live cured rock in the tank then the advantage is to have them on, however I doubt you would get much if any cycle unless your seeding the tank, if you are cycling over a 4-6 week period with dead rock etc then leave them off, either way its no big deal.

will46r
12/31/2010, 05:46 AM
I had mine on for a few hours purely to look at the tank. If you start getting unwanted algae growth then cut the lights off and even cover your tank to deprive the algae from food (light.)

spieszak
12/31/2010, 06:06 AM
I treated my cycling tank just like my already cycled tank. Figured out my light cycle, fed the tank a small amount. Did my readings (a little more often that I do now)... it build muscle memory... and watching a tank with no lights is hard. If you have live rock (which I sure hope you do), its always a good idea to keep an eye out for hitchhikers early on, because it is much much easier to remove them now if you have to.

kev24k
12/31/2010, 12:51 PM
I treated my cycling tank just like my already cycled tank. Figured out my light cycle, fed the tank a small amount. Did my readings (a little more often that I do now)... it build muscle memory... and watching a tank with no lights is hard. If you have live rock (which I sure hope you do), its always a good idea to keep an eye out for hitchhikers early on, because it is much much easier to remove them now if you have to.

These are the same reasons I cycled my most recent tank with the lights on. I was concerned about temp swings with the footprint of my tank and 250wmh. I was right and corrected it before I added any livestock to the tank. I didn't experience any abnormal algae growth with the lights on either.

Gregthos
01/01/2011, 08:12 AM
I did the same thing as spieszak. I don't believe it made a difference either way but I would stare at an all but empty tank for what seemed like hours. :) Do whatever you want.

ghellin
01/01/2011, 08:45 AM
I have always started out with a few hours then each week or so add an hour until you get to your desired light cycle.

jasonw52
01/01/2011, 12:49 PM
And algae starts to come in. Agree on getting light cycle tuned too.