PDA

View Full Version : Carbon

saleen2881
12/31/2010, 01:52 AM
hey everyone what do you guys use carbon for? do i need it ? is it necessary?also can i put brs rox carbon and brs high capcity gfo in the same phosban reactor?

snulma1
12/31/2010, 06:46 AM
Most people run carbon to remove the yellow tinge to the water from organics and waste from your inhabitants. As well as some of the medications that they may have overdosed.

It is not necessary and you don't need it, but it is nice to have and helpful. I don't believe there is any reason why you can't run the 2 in the same reactor, but I don't have experience with that, so hopefully someone else can answer

Denbf58
12/31/2010, 06:47 AM
carbon is used to remove impurities from the water gfo is for phophates i'm not sure about mixing the two

saleen2881
12/31/2010, 03:37 PM
ok thanks everyone

seapug
12/31/2010, 06:18 PM
You can run them in the same reactor, but carbon will exhaust faster than the GFO, so you'll either end up tossing more expensive GFO before it's exhausted or you'll be running exhausted carbon to avoid tossing out the GFO before it's done. Two reactors chained together or plumbed with a T off one pump is really the most efficient way to run carbon and GFO.

saleen2881
12/31/2010, 06:52 PM
would it work if i put the carbon in a filter bag in the sump?

Crush Coral
12/31/2010, 07:13 PM
Kind of. Could get another reactor, a maxi jet pump and run them seperate would be ideal.

Rotknee
12/31/2010, 07:59 PM

Yes you can depending on what you have in the tank and what your goals are with the carbon. The current TOTM owner, Dan Rigle, uses carbon passively with awesome results.

I had the same question not too long ago and the more I looked into it the more I found that people with very successful tanks were using carbon passively. Many add what they need to get the job done and change it monthly.

Crush Coral
12/31/2010, 08:02 PM
Yep, what ever works. I have a single BRS reactor which I put a bag of Chemipure Elite in each month. Has carbon and another mineral to remove phosphate. Seems to work OK.

saleen2881
01/01/2011, 02:26 AM
is the brs reactor better or a reactor from marine depot?

snulma1
01/01/2011, 07:34 AM
If you are handy, you can fabricate a reactor yourself with some PVC pipe, caps, tubing and fittings from Home depot. I did this for my first reactor and had no issues. I think it ultimately cost 15-20 bucks and a little time.

Ritten
01/01/2011, 08:45 AM

I always have. I use a woman's knee high nylon stocking (so I can just toss it when I add fresh carbon). I run carbon to keep the water clear, but also because I have a lot of softies in a small tank.

Tater11
01/01/2011, 09:55 AM
I always have. I use a woman's knee high nylon stocking (so I can just toss it when I add fresh carbon). I run carbon to keep the water clear, but also because I have a lot of softies in a small tank.lol thats a great idea.so if i ever see a one stocking woman i know you changed your carbon:thumbsup: