PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and Ecotech questions for a custom tank.

b_s_c1
12/31/2010, 08:56 AM
I just placed an order for a 36x30x22 rimless aquarium made by Dallas Aquarium and Pond and have a few questions about lighting and circulation. This will be an SPS dominate aquarium.

First the lighting.

I really would like to go with an LED fixture but not really sure on the coverage I would get. I have looked at the Key and Maxspect fixtures along with some DIY plans. On this tank what size fixture and how many 3 watt LED's would I need to have good coverage and still be able to keep SPS. The lights will be mounted in a floating canopy that will be adjustable but would like to keep it atleast 12" above the aquarium so I can take advantage of the rimless look. I am not against useing PAR 38 to supplement or take care of some shaded spots.

Next is the circulation.

I want to use the ecotech pumps but not really sure on which ones I will need. The overlow will be in the center of the 36" side so my thoughts were one MP 10 or MP 40 on both sides, or one MP 40 or MP 60 in the center of the 30" side. I am really not sure on what will be enough and what will be to much.

As soon as I can get these two things figured out I will get them ordered so I can start a build thread when the tank gets here.

Thanks for any help.

geaux xman
12/31/2010, 09:20 AM
i'd go with 1 MP40 and see how that works out first.

2 mp10's would be very underwhelming in a 100g tank IMO.

theres a couple of places with 10-15% off. try to take advantage of that if you're buying new.

Anemonebuff
12/31/2010, 09:37 AM
I would look into Aqua Illuminations LED. It looks like you are not going cheap. I would spend the money now for a good fixture.

One MP40 would be enough, but two would be great. MP10 are for nanos IMO. An MP60 would be too much for your tank.

b_s_c1
12/31/2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks, That is kind of what I was thinking. I will start with one MP 40 and then add another if needed. I guess the best placement for one would be on the end blowing across the tank.

I know this build is going to cost me money but I would the AI is out of the price range. From what I have read the Maxspect and Key have the same technology. An advantage the Maxspect has is that optics can be installed if needed. Physical apperance of the fixture does not problem as it will be hidden in the canopy. Most of the fixtures are around 7.5" wide and am not sure if it will be enough light for a 30" tank. I will most likely have to add two fixtures instead of one. As far as length I was thinking of a 24" fixture. I am not sure on any of this so if anyone can help out please do. LED fixtures are new to me and I am just going off what I have read so someone with personal experience would really help.

b_s_c1
01/02/2011, 10:40 AM
Any idea on what size fixture and how many LED's it will take for this tank.

oscar.millan
01/02/2011, 01:00 PM
I would go 2 x AI Sol Blue + 2 x MP40w.