PDA

View Full Version : do you have to run carbon oranything else to have an anemone

drew930
12/31/2010, 01:32 PM
NEver had an anemone...and I've heard from people that your way better off if you run carbon.. is this true?

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 01:36 PM
It's a good thing to do. :)

drew930
12/31/2010, 01:49 PM
OKay ! The one I was going to buy was a clear green color and it has a little bit of a blackiish tent on it ?? Just dirty ? OR is it unhealthy...and do you have to feed it

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 02:09 PM
It sounds bleached, which means it's lost it's color. Get the one with the most dense color you can find. If it looks clear/light in color, that means it's bleached. And get one with long tentacles. If the tentacles are short, it means the anemone is "starved". :)

This is a bleached anemone...
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/rctoners/pictures020.jpg

This is a starved anemone...
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/starving1.jpg

This is a healthy anemone...
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/uniquecorals/gbta.jpg

Start with a BTA/RBTA (Bubble Tipped Anemone). They are the easiest to keep and they're good anemones for beginners.
May I ask how long your tank has been set up? What kind of lights do you have? Anemones shouldn't be put into a tank until the tank is established enough to support one. I would wait until the tank has been set up at least 6 months before adding an anemone. Anemones also need good lighting. Power compact lighting can keep an anemone if the wattage is high enough, but more than likely the anemone won't be happy. Anemones do best under T5 or even better, Metal Halides. :)

SwampyBill
12/31/2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, it's a good idea to run carbon; whether you have an anemone or not. What size tank & what's your lighting like?

drew930
12/31/2010, 02:17 PM
Okay . Thanks for help :):) .. so is bleached bad ? .. and a darker green will most likely be brighter in a tank with t5 s right ? ...I have a 75 with t5 s....4 blue one.purple and one white

rayn
12/31/2010, 02:31 PM
Question that will hopefully help the op out as well. I have a bta that fills out fully, but daily it deflated completely flat every morning. Been in the tank for about two weeks. There are four other bta in there and they don't do it. I target feed, so I know it eats and is getting food too.

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 03:42 PM
Question that will hopefully help the op out as well. I have a bta that fills out fully, but daily it deflated completely flat every morning. Been in the tank for about two weeks. There are four other bta in there and they don't do it. I target feed, so I know it eats and is getting food too.

That's a special situation that won't happen with every anemone. It will more than likely confuse the OP if he/she is new to anemones. Plus you just hijacked a thread. :lolspin:

drew930
12/31/2010, 03:50 PM
Alright.. I just got one.!! Will he live off phyto plankton a. Or do I have to feed shrimp

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 04:02 PM
Alright.. I just got one.!! Will he live off phyto plankton a. Or do I have to feed shrimp

So let's see... how long as your tank been set up, and what kind of lights do you have? Also, do you know what kind of anemone it is? Post a picture and we can ID it for you because if the LFS didn't inform you on what to feed it, I assume they didn't give you an ID on it either.

drew930
12/31/2010, 04:08 PM
Been set up for 2 months.. but had live rock from last tank... I have 6-T5s... its a green bubble tip... they said that it would live off plankton...but will grow off shrimp

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 04:20 PM
Been set up for 2 months.. but had live rock from last tank... I have 6-T5s... its a green bubble tip... they said that it would live off plankton...but will grow off shrimp

They obviously don't know what they're talking about if they said it will live off plankton. :lmao:
Feed it krill once per week. Post a picture so that we're 100% positive it's a BTA and isn't something else that's very hard to care for.

Anemones shouldn't be put into a tank until the tank is established enough to support one. I would wait until the tank has been set up at least 6 months before adding an anemone.
Just ignore me. :sad2:

2Addicted
12/31/2010, 04:26 PM
They obviously don't know what they're talking about if they said it will live off plankton. :lmao:
Feed it krill once per week. Post a picture so that we're 100% positive it's a BTA and isn't something else that's very hard to care for.

Just ignore me. :sad2:

lol i was thinking the same thing.

To the op: I would reccomend acclimating the anemone to your lights. The lfs people dont know what they are talking about.

SwampyBill
12/31/2010, 04:28 PM
Here we go again...;)

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 04:40 PM
Well at least he's not as bad compared to some other people that have started other threads... :lmao:
This guy at least has passion for the hobby unlike some others.

drew930
12/31/2010, 04:48 PM
I have a passion :):). Just don't have much knowledge.. ill post a pic tomarrow and hopefully you guys can help me

WaffleWalffle22
12/31/2010, 04:54 PM
I have a passion :):). Just don't have much knowledge.. ill post a pic tomarrow and hopefully you guys can help me

You'll learn things over time. I still consider myself a n00b. :lolspin:

drew930
12/31/2010, 05:00 PM
Hole so :) ... ill post pic tomarrow

SwampyBill
12/31/2010, 05:02 PM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing pix of your new nem...Don't mind me; my sick sense of humor comes off abrasive sometimes. Always glad to help a fellow reefer with a passion for this incredible hobby.

drew930
12/31/2010, 05:10 PM
Hopefully it will do good... and humor is not bad ;)

rayn
12/31/2010, 07:52 PM
That's a special situation that won't happen with every anemone. It will more than likely confuse the OP if he/she is new to anemones. Plus you just hijacked a thread. :lolspin:

Sorry, wasn't my point to hijack. Thought I was giving a different situation that may offer if he got one.

drew930
01/01/2011, 12:27 PM
Okay guys !! MY anemone killed my powder blue tang... blue hippo tang is alive but hiding behind power head !!!

WaffleWalffle22
01/01/2011, 12:37 PM
Okay guys !! MY anemone killed my powder blue tang... blue hippo tang is alive but hiding behind power head !!!

This is why you should've posted a picture! It's more than likely not a BTA! D:

Conrad25
01/01/2011, 12:56 PM
Doesn't sound like a BTA at all.... Sounds like you got something else that is not friendly.... Pictures tell a thousand words!!!!!! Show us what it is

drew930
01/01/2011, 01:00 PM
Okay... ill try. It's up under a rock right now... gimme a sec

drew930
01/01/2011, 01:27 PM
okay... Im goung to try here in a bit. HAVe to upload... someone else told me it might just be.ich ? But how would I know... also..when I moved the rock the anemone had a red base around it

SwampyBill
01/01/2011, 02:18 PM
I'm guessing you didn't quarantine your fish to see signs of disease before you put them in DT? The anemone may have finished a sick fish off, but tangs are notorious ich magnets & if that's what happened to your powder blue, there's a good chance the other fish will get it as well. Ich looks like white specks of salt on a fish. IMO, if you don't have one already, set up a small (10/15 gal) quarantine tank ASAP for all your fish for 8 wks. to make sure & treat accordingly. & watch out for the 'tang police' for having tangs in a 75 gal tank...;) Good luck!

drew930
01/01/2011, 02:28 PM
No I don't have a qt. That must be what it Is... what do I do about my coral and clownsand anemone..and blue hippo ? Water changes or what ? I think clowns may be getting it

SwampyBill
01/01/2011, 02:39 PM
Ich won't affect corals or anemone, just fish. I've been lucky I've never had to deal with it, so can't give any treatment options to you, sorry. Do a search on here for ich treatment. What makes you think your clowns are getting it?

drew930
01/01/2011, 02:49 PM
Well there small still .. and I might just be paranoid..but I think there getting a little pale around the fins

FlammySnake
01/01/2011, 03:01 PM
I have a feeling I remember Drew, and if it is the same Drew, it is definately a bta. And if it is the same Drew I definately discussed bta's with him for nearly 45 minutes, and phytoplankton or plankton as a food source was never discussed, definately shrimp krill or silversides as food was discussed. If I'm not correct then I wish you and your anemone the best!

drew930
01/01/2011, 03:13 PM
You didn't tell me nothing wrong... It was the guy that got it out for me... I know you feed them shrimp to grow but I asked him and he said you didn't have to. But I'm not having trouble with the anemone. It's the fish that's the problem.

FlammySnake
01/01/2011, 03:20 PM
I thought I had you picked out right! No worries man, some of the guys at the store are pretty old school haha. Fwiw the tangs you had/have are definately ich magnets. Always always prefer quarantine to the good ol' toss'em in, but we live and learn. Best of luck!

drew930
01/01/2011, 03:23 PM
Yea... hope my luck turns around. Thanks