PDA

View Full Version : Timers

smoyer
12/31/2010, 06:47 PM
I been keeping a reef tank awhile now and I have to say that Ive been disappointed in the timers that are available. I have used digital and wheel timers but all seem to fail for at some point. I am pretty disappointed with the quality of most the timers I have found. Anyone have anything to add?

rogerwilco357
12/31/2010, 07:00 PM
yes I too went through that phase and they took up alot of room on the power strip etc..so I bought a reefkeeper unit the reefkeeper lite and it basicly a glorified timer that will also protect you from the next item that is as bad as the timers the heaters controller unit they usually stick or burn out causing the heat to stay on and never shut off killing your tank but with the rkl you dont have to worry it shuts that off too and the metal halides if it gets too hot etc all for 99 bucks on sale for 89 today at aqua cave ..enough said ..been there and done that..

smoyer
01/01/2011, 12:03 AM
I agree a controller is the WAY TO GO but one would think that someone could make a timer that is dependable.

k7iou
01/01/2011, 08:45 AM
If you go to Lowes you will find the Hard wired metal box timers that are used for pool pump systems. They have a single wheel timer for about $20 they are sutible for outdoor locations. They also have an outdoor dual timer made for outdoor lighting for under $20. this one has 2 plugs on the bottom. A lesser option is they also sell the identical Ocean timer strip with the mfg name on it not Ocean for $20 this timer is ok for outside the sump area. It is UL approved but you have to make sure your cords are seated tightly all the way or you can burn it up like you see in another post claiming they are dangerous, again it is UL approved. I did notice Lowes selling elec cords and lights without UL but ECU approval. So look close before you buy:-)

Bandsaw
01/01/2011, 09:17 AM
I've personally used these timers for years without any troubles. As stated above, the timer hogs the entire outlet. You can also get a remote control for them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/Lighting/ElectricalTimers/PRD~0528817P/Noma%252BProgrammable%252BTimer.jsp?locale=en

mudskipper1
01/01/2011, 07:12 PM
I too broke down and got a Reefkeeper Lite after getting frustrated with many regular timers.