PDA

View Full Version : New to this...trying to start maintaining tank myself...

gdubs97
12/31/2010, 09:14 PM
I have moved this from another threat since I think the thread dragged on due to my random questions and wanted to start a thread just having to do wth the sump. Anyways, I haven't stopped reading and googling and harassing people. I youtubed some sumps and I though mine looked funny. I don't understand his logic in this design, but I just simulated it in this sketch I just did. Please let me know what you think. I'm thinking the output area should be smaller and the flows going into the sump should both enter the same area, maybe even drop a couple of inches into the sump to create some aeration. Also, the divider should go to the bottom and maybe have a wall with a gap at the top, that way it will provide some sort of filtration. Maybe leave some room for a refugium (not sure if that's what people do) or a place to add a protein skimmer, etc later on?? Please let me know if this setup needs to be changed, etc. Should I also have some live rock in the sump? Thanks

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/gdubs97/sump.jpg[/QUOTE]

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/gdubs97/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/gdubs97/IMG_0213.jpg

Fishguy15
12/31/2010, 09:27 PM
http://www.3reef.com/forums/attachments/i-made/6197d1166198205-diy-sump-refugium-advice-measurement-help-sump_fugium_2.jpg

This is a good base example

gdubs97
01/01/2011, 10:06 AM
Bump

Virtuoso
01/01/2011, 10:23 AM
First off let me say that I am new and have never had a tank before. But, from what I understand let me give the following feedback. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

First and foremost, you want to make sure that your auto-top off unit does not have its plumbing going straight into the water on the sump. If it is in or touching the water it can create a siphon and that is bad.

I guess the other thing is... I don't quite understand what this sump is doing. If there is no protein skimmer or refugium, why is there a sump? Maybe there is a reason I don't understand. I guess so you can easily have an ATO?

Here is what I would do, and again, I'd definitely wait for someone else to chime in before doing anything. Get both drain pipes from the DT going into the sump the same way, like you were saying in your post. Drop that first baffle down and put a protein skimmer in it. Then I would see if I could replace the two return pumps with one stronger one and just split the output to both returns when going into the DT, that way you save on space in your sump. Then I would put a refuge in the middle with several baffles inbetween that and the return pump. Have you looked at http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html ?

gdubs97
01/01/2011, 11:21 AM
First off let me say that I am new and have never had a tank before. But, from what I understand let me give the following feedback. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

First and foremost, you want to make sure that your auto-top off unit does not have its plumbing going straight into the water on the sump. If it is in or touching the water it can create a siphon and that is bad.

I guess the other thing is... I don't quite understand what this sump is doing. If there is no protein skimmer or refugium, why is there a sump? Maybe there is a reason I don't understand. I guess so you can easily have an ATO?

Here is what I would do, and again, I'd definitely wait for someone else to chime in before doing anything. Get both drain pipes from the DT going into the sump the same way, like you were saying in your post. Drop that first baffle down and put a protein skimmer in it. Then I would see if I could replace the two return pumps with one stronger one and just split the output to both returns when going into the DT, that way you save on space in your sump. Then I would put a refuge in the middle with several baffles inbetween that and the return pump. Have you looked at http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html ?

The first baffle is glued in place. I wish I could just drop it down. Looks like a whole re-do. Obviously I'm new as well...but that's exactly what I was thinking...I just don't know about me doing the plumbing...so I was thinking just to keep the two returns as is (not make it one as you said) and just move them all the way over if I can fit them there. Where would the ATO stay? Same place I guess. Not sure if level matters or not??

The plumbing from the ATO is just above the level line so there is no siphon problem except when the water is above the line

Sk8r
01/01/2011, 11:53 AM
Teflon tape! Never forget teflon tape, if you're new to plumbing.

You're going to learn. ;)

Green_Reefer
01/01/2011, 12:20 PM
Teflon tape is designed for metal pipe threads only. You want to use pipe dope, or thread sealant. It is a white paste that only flows into the gaps of the PVC threads, teflon tape can actually force the threads apart and distort the mating surfaces.

On the whole PVC plumbing is very easy to DIY. Get a bunch of small pieces of scrap and some cheap unions to practice on, you will be master of gluing PVC after you glue your 3rd piece and should have no problems plumbing your tank after that.

gdubs97
01/01/2011, 07:16 PM
Hey Sk8r (and anyone else),
What do you think about my setup? So far I have only directed the two pipes to go all the way to the right through a filter sock. I didn't do any plumbing, etc, yet. I'm thinking to replace the whole sump. My sump is actually blacked out! I want a refugium in there, but it doesn't make sense as it's not clear. I figure I might as well buy a glass tank, set it up as I want it and then fix the plumbing and swap it out with what's there. I also think I should add a protein skimmer. Please recommend one. I have a 125 gallon tank fyi. I'm not necesarrily on a budget (I can spend) but I like getting a good deal no matter what I get. More than anything, I just need some ideas...I've seen samples...but they're all different.

Knowing the space I have down there (basically the same size as the existing sump) can someone please give me an idea as to what will work the best? If you could design any sump, with any hardware in it, how would you do it and what hardware would you buy? models, etc.

I would like a refugium with a light, etc. and any other hardware you think I need. Does this diagram below look right? Any thoughts? Any suggestions on hardware. I’m leaving the two pumps and the two lines coming in because that is how it is setup now and I don’t want to mess around with those.

How’s this diagram looking so far? If this is correct or somewhat correct…what’s to stop fish in the refugium from going to pump area? Should the wall be higher and there be holes in the wall between the two??

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/gdubs97/sumprev.jpg

iamwrasseman
01/01/2011, 07:59 PM
your second design is much closer to correct just be sure that the sock and skimmer can comfortably fit into the first compartment .also this first compartment need to have a water level that is compatible with your skimmer and that is usually 10" or less so do a bit of home work so it all goes smooth there.also with the added expense of two return pumps i would opt for a single one of the correct size and you can figure that out for the rating of your overflows .last and certainly not least make sure that if you are running a ATO to your sump you make it double fail safe so you dont have something go wrong with a single float and then your tank and house gets flooded . when your tank gets flooded with ro/di water everybody dies within the aquarium boundaries .
good luck !