PDA

View Full Version : Water-tight Overflow Plumbing - How?

FishFaceScott
01/01/2011, 10:57 AM
I have a new Aqeuon 125 tank with two built in overflows in the back, drilled in the bottom, and the new Aqueon overflow kits. My question - what is the best way to assemble the pipes in the holes of the glass at the bottom to ensure a water-tight / minimal salt creep state? I was told by lfs to only use the single rubber gasket on the inside of tank bulkhead side, and nothing on the outside of the tank - just hand tighten the bulkhead thread. Is there anything worth adding that helps - plumbers tape on the threads or any other between the plastic bulkhead and the glass?

Thanks,

Scott.

viper12775
01/01/2011, 11:00 AM
the gasket on the inside of the tank will work fine ive never had a bulkhead leak my 100g acrylic has been running for five years and never leaked and no salt creep

KMP
01/01/2011, 11:01 AM
The rubber gasket makes it water tight between the tank and bulkhead. If yiu are screwing barb fittings into the bulkhead to use flexible tubing then do put plumbers tape on the barb fitting before screwing in and secure the hose to the barb fitting with a hose clamp as a precaution.