PDA

View Full Version : angler, puffer, box

felix453
01/01/2011, 04:14 PM
I have a newbie question which may sound stupid. I would LOVE:spin1: to have a 75-100 gallon saltwater fish tank with an angler fish, a dog faced puffer, and a cow fish (I think it's the one with the horns). Sorry if this is a stupid question. also would certain corals/ anemones/ invertabrates be safe with these little monsters:lmao:. I know that the angler would harm anything that could fit in its mouth, and that the puffer might hurt the corals, and anemones, AND the inverts. All help appreciated!

Jack:frog:

agreeive?fish
01/01/2011, 04:35 PM
add the longhorn cowfish to the list of WILL hurt the corals/nems/inverts right along side the puffer.....its 99.9999999999999999% chance of it

Sk8r
01/01/2011, 04:45 PM
And then the cowfish, if eaten, would poison the lion, alas. You're new to the hobby, and I would recommend these species for your second year of fish-keeping...
In general, I can't really tell you about the food chain here, but particularly the cowfish and puffer are absolutely helpless against ich, and they do have toxins, particularly the cowfish. I'd suggest a lot of study on this, before committing, and some research over in Reef Fishes, consulting people who have kept them. They're personable, but they are VERY special care, one of them venomous and preferring live food, 2 of them toxic, and incredibly vulnerable to ich, and needing extra special care in quarantine and care to prevent any of that parasite being carried into the tank via live specimens, etc.

I would recommend starting with a small reef, with easy species that won't eat your corals, then a second tank that will, next year, hold the few things the puffer WON'T eat, and your other fellows.

Caution: this way lies a house totally devoted to marine tanks.

felix453
01/01/2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the help, out of curiosity instead of lion did you mean angler, either way, thanks

agreeive?fish
01/01/2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the help, out of curiosity instead of lion did you mean angler, either way, thanks

what sk8r said about the lion can be directly transfered to the angler...

Sk8r
01/01/2011, 06:37 PM
I was of course thinking lion---which are venomous, but another big-mouthed fish. I read so many posts I sometimes go brain-dead. The family in which one finds anglers, the frogfish, is both whimsical and pretty; some of them are fragile. Google up frogfish and you will find a lot of info on them: I have no personal acquaintance with them, but their tanks come under the heading of what are called "specialty tanks" because it is so hard to maintain them in a community---most of which they would eat.

felix453
01/01/2011, 06:49 PM
I know it probably wouldn't work but I 'd love an awesome tank with corals, sponges, live rocks, and inverts with a huge puffer and angler/leaf fish. What a wonderful world it could be:dance:

Sk8r
01/01/2011, 07:25 PM
Research, research. Sometimes a species that is rated no-go for corals is ok with SOME corals: you have to know which. I've personally never found any fish that eats mushrooms, but there has to be some reason they haven't taken over the world!