PDA

View Full Version : Orange Anthias questions

ser_renely
01/01/2011, 06:18 PM
I have two orange anthias. I have had them for almost a month. One is a little larger than the other and bosses the other around a bit. With only two, would the larger ever turn into a male or do they need a larger group?

Also, they only were eating frozen food, and very selective at what they took from frozen mixes. They have recently taken freeze dried mysis, but vaguely seem interested in any pellet type(nl spectrum) and hate flake.

They seem to be doing really well, I originally fed a lot 4 times a day for 2 weeks to get em fat and healthy. Now am at 2-3 times a day. I just want to get them on to some pellet food for all the vitamins they have in it.

Also, anyone have any tips/tricks etc...

Thanks,
Ser

ser_renely
01/03/2011, 10:51 AM
^^^

AfricaOffroad
01/03/2011, 11:01 AM
Are you referring to the squamipinnus?
If so, we refer to them as goldies locally.

They are pretty tough and quickly adapt to most foods we feed.
Will one change, who knows? I suspect you need a bigger school to get one going male.

Amoore311
01/03/2011, 11:09 AM
The larger one will eventually turn male. You can tell once they start changing by the first ray on the dorsal fin. The first ray will get substantially larger than those behind it. As soon as you see it get larger than the rest the process has already begun.

As far as feeding goes, once a day is completely fine for them. I've had 10 for over a year and they are getting fed once a day.

As far as pellets go, mine will eat NLS Pellets. They like the THERA A pellets (smallest size). Originally they wouldn't go for the pellets though, mysis only. Once I moved them to the display they started eating the pellets. I would assume they recognized the pellets as food once they saw the other fish eat them.