PDA

View Full Version : What size

felix453
01/01/2011, 06:51 PM
Since I've gotten some info I was wondering what size is a good size for a begginer reef tank? I thought the bigger the better, such as a 75-100 gallon. Also in what order do you put the live rock, coral, clams, inverts, and fish?
Thanks!

unionredskin22
01/01/2011, 07:02 PM
I would say a 75 or 100 would be a good starter tank. I began with a 90 which is 6 inches taller than a 75. I wish it was 24" wide instead of just 18" for more aquascapimg flexibility. Start with the live rock and let I cycle for several weeks until you get a 0 reading for ammonia and nitrates. After fully cycling I would start with a cuc and a hardy, peaceful fish. Then slowly build your bioload up. As far as corals go start with something hardy. I started with a birdsnest and a common zoa frag for my first corals. Then as your tank matures and you see success in those corals and have good water chemistry you can try more expensive/delicate fish and corals. Just take is slowly

Woodybass
01/01/2011, 09:11 PM
The larger the tank the easier it is to keep everything in balance. Its like peeing in the bath tub apposed to the toilet. Also read as much as you can and ask tons of question before buyng equipment and live stock. Doing your homework will save you money and heartache.

Angel*Fish
01/01/2011, 09:45 PM
I agree - 75-100 is good size. Just one caveat - I started with a 30g, upgraded to a 55g then got my 100g. I wasted a lot of $$$ along the way, but by the time I got the 100g, I definitely knew how I wanted things. So before you buy the 100g, make sure you do LOTS of research.

And whatever you do - make sure you buy one that's predrilled or have it drilled with an over flow installed. That's the hardest thing to go back and fix. Make sure it's drilled how and where you want it. My 100g only has one overflow which was my personal preference.

Also plan in advance how you're going to stream line the water change process.

The larger tank is more forgiving in so many ways - stability and fish compatibility. Some things happen slower in a big tank which is a very good thing.

Virtuoso
01/01/2011, 09:55 PM
Its like peeing in the bath tub apposed to the toilet.

I've read a lot of good advice on these forums, but... ah... are you telling me I should be peeing in the bath tub instead of the toilet?

Zappo
01/01/2011, 10:37 PM
If your biggest concern is the pee:water ratio like in an aquarium, then yes!

SwampyBill
01/01/2011, 10:50 PM
First off, welcome to Reef Central! You're in the right place to learn about the hobby.

+1 on doing ALOT of research first before you buy ANYTHING...Then get the largest system your budget will allow (check here & on craigslist for great deals). This hobby is addictive & I hear everyday of someone going bigger. Having never attempted salt or freshwater before, I originally started with a 90 gal 7 yrs ago, but sold it before I moved cross-country. Now I have a 65 gal & beginning to think it's too cramped...;) Good luck!

bamf25
01/01/2011, 11:08 PM
I am just starting out also. I am likely getting a 125g to start. I did spend alot of time talking to my LFS. They said with a new setup there is only a $50 price difference between the 75 and the 90, and likey the rest of the equipement would either be the same or within a few bucks. For the extra few gallons they said the 90 was a better bet. Yeah, they also want their extra 50, but his points were valid.

rezaktp
01/01/2011, 11:41 PM
I started with a 100, just go slow!

Mr.Maska
01/02/2011, 07:05 AM
size of tank really should go by budget,preference,availibility of room and such.
what ever u think u can afford:) i vote 125 tho!

malawinovice
01/02/2011, 08:12 AM
The difference between a 75 and 90 is only a few dollars for the tank.
But the lighting difference can be a big deal in money spent.

Decide if you want sps, a mixed reef, or just softies.
Lighting and skimmer are your largest expenses.

40 gallon would be the smallest to begin salt water.
The depth of 24 inch in the 120 is impressive.

Enjoy