PDA

View Full Version : Can this superman monti bounce back ?

merkurmaniac
01/01/2011, 08:33 PM
I bought this superman monti from a guy who had kind of neglected/given up on his tank for at least a couple of months. His water chemistry was probably pretty bad, and it had tons of hair algea and some macro algea (maybe hallmedia or that coin shaped one) all over everything. All his coral was bleaching or pretty pale. He gave me a few other pieces that were about unrecognizable, a white bali green slimer, e.g.

So, he convinced me that with good lighting and good parameters, this piece would bounce back and quickly be my centerpiece coral. I am getting great polyp extension, and its covered with very pronounced polyps that are out in force everyday. The question is, with this much of a butt kicking, can/will this guy color up again ?

What, if anything, can I do to help it out ? My other stuff is looking really nice. I have a tricolor sps that has some nice color to its features. The white stuff at the top looks to be some growth lumps taking place, i.e. something good , rather than bad. Its my interpretation, anyways.

I have it fairly high up in the tank, but its NOT in the brightest spot. I am going to add some more LEDs and can put a spotlight on this guy fairly easily.

Here is a pic of it today:

http://www.merkurxr4ti.com/fish/monti.jpg

sfexplicit
01/01/2011, 08:44 PM
With good stable water parameters this thing will color back up for you.

karsco
01/01/2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah I think so. I have rainbow monti that pretty much turned a pale white due to some issues. Everything is back in check now and the orange & green polyps are starting to return.

buy_baff
01/01/2011, 09:54 PM
Yep it will come back no problem.

fishieness
01/01/2011, 10:43 PM
With sps, anything can bounce back with the right conditions.

mcoomer
01/01/2011, 11:04 PM
I have a Tyree Flower Petal that I got as a tiny frag. Right after I got it, it quickly receded and got covered in a thin film of algae. I left it in the tank because it was mounted to a small piece of rock that just fit naturally where it was sitting. Several months go by and I happen to glance at that spot and see a tiny bit of color on the rock. Not even the right color but color none the less. Slowly, that coral came back and colored up to a beautiful green with blue polyps and is growing quite nicely now. Keep that monti in some good water and light and I think you'll do fine. The polyp extension is a good sign.

Mike

NVfishman
01/02/2011, 12:49 PM
should all come back. should be about 1-2 months, but I have some wild stuff that is still brown after a year. Im almost ready to dump them.

merkurmaniac
05/29/2012, 06:48 AM
The light was the key. I fragged off a little chunk and put it up real high. It turned blue. I moved the mother colony into brigther light and it's beautiful blue color came back. It looks great.

Richard

PokerReefer
05/29/2012, 08:58 PM
Montis are one of the easier more hardier Sps ime. Just keep it stable.