PDA

View Full Version : What type of paint for the back of the tank?

katcon
01/02/2011, 12:33 PM
The tank I currently have came with black and I was thinking of changing it to some form of blue. Can anybody tell me exactly the best kind of paint to use? Is it just a basic spray paint? Thanks

streak
01/02/2011, 12:39 PM
Krylon Fusion.. is what i used..

01/02/2011, 12:39 PM
Krylon spray works well for me, as does Rustoleum. Multiple coats are needed for an opaque background.

Jeff

1lucky1
01/02/2011, 12:51 PM
I went to the local sign store and had a decal made. That way if I ever decide to change the color up its easier. I didn't attach the decal just taped it to the tank. works for me

polyp02
01/02/2011, 01:06 PM
I tried both acrylic(water based) and enamel(oil based). However, the oil based enamel(Rustoleum) gave me the best result as it covered in less coats and would not scrape off as easily as acrylic. Water based acrylic would not adhere very well and would flake as I applied the next coat. Make sure to clean the glass real good and don't use glass cleaners as they will leave a residue. I would suggest using plain water or mineral spirits and giving it a hand buff with a cotton shirt to make sure it is nice and clean. I also painted the glass against the light to make sure that I did not leave any areas unpainted. Also be patient and take your time since enamel takes time to dry and if you apply a coat before it dries then the previous coat might peel off.

In terms of brands and method, its your call. In my opinion; Sprays are nice since they give a uniform coat but are kind of messy and is best done inside where there is no wind; Brush is good but the softer brushes are kind of expensive harder,cheap brushes, will not be efficient in applying paint and their bristtles will fall off and stay in the project; Rollers are best for this since they offer a uniform coat like spray but not as messy. I would buy the small thinner profile roller not the common ones.

syrinx
01/02/2011, 01:23 PM
People use all sorts of paint types- and most work well. Do the glass prep as stated above. Rollers do the best and quickest job, with no chance of overspraying. I had to do 150 tanks in one shot- and I soon found the best method for me was this.

beadlocked450r
01/02/2011, 01:26 PM
Window tint works well also

01/02/2011, 03:22 PM
You can also just slide opaque cardboard or acrylic alongside or in back of tanks.

Jeff

suds1421
01/02/2011, 06:45 PM
Clean the glass VERY well. Latex will cover and be easier to remove if you change your mind. I've seen painted plywood as a background and it looked very good. Lot's o options :)

C0rp
01/02/2011, 07:01 PM
I used black multi purpose latex paint. Two coats were applied and it looks great. Peels off easily if you decide you want to remove it later too!