PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle going away?

bamf25
01/02/2011, 04:32 PM
How do you get your tanks needs taken care of if you go away for a week. I know most people will use an ATO for evaporation, and work their water change around going away. But what about feeding etc?

Dustin1300
01/02/2011, 04:34 PM
My water changes, top off, and dosing are automated. Automated flake feeding with a wife that I can 'depend' on to throw some frozen food in every couple of days as well as an algae sheet. I've got a 11 day business trip soon so I feel ya;)

Woodybass
01/02/2011, 04:41 PM
I have a fellow reefer who is also my sister in law take care of my tank when were gone. So far so good hopefully someday I'll have enough automation the tank will run itself.

Agu
01/02/2011, 04:48 PM
I've always had friends check my tanks when we're gone. Sometimes they're other aquarists and they've had me return the favor. Other times it's been an interested neighbor.

Great tank sitting story. Had a neighbor watch my 180 for a week. I asked him his favorite beverage and bought a bottle of his favorite 12 year old Scotch Whiskey just for him. Every evening he left home (leaving the Mrs home with two teenage girls) to check my tank. Apparently he spent hours every night checking the tank. The Mrs was not happy but to quote him "The most peaceful evenings I've had in years." And he really did sit in front of the tank, he knew about everything that was in the tank.

The bottle was empty, but the tank looked great.

clownfreak
01/02/2011, 05:29 PM
Agu, is that whiskey dosing instead of vodka ;)

suds1421
01/02/2011, 06:26 PM
For feedings get a weekly pill container and put the food in there. That way your tank sitter ONLY feeds what you want and the right amount.