PDA

View Full Version : Sump Help

tmar77
01/02/2011, 06:37 PM
Hey guys, I am building my first 10 gallon sump for my 55 gallon tank. My tank is not reef ready and I need to know how many gph my overflow should be? Also how many gph should my return pump be? Layout will be 3 sections from left to right. First section will have Reef Octopus skimmer then 2 baffles. Next will be my refugium 2 more baffles and then my return section.

Woodybass
01/02/2011, 06:41 PM
It depends on your drain size. If its a 1'' reef ready I think it pulls between 550-600gph. So you'll want a return that can keep up after head loss back to the display.

RocketSurgeon
01/04/2011, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, I am building my first 10 gallon sump for my 55 gallon tank. My tank is not reef ready and I need to know how many gph my overflow should be? Also how many gph should my return pump be? Layout will be 3 sections from left to right. First section will have Reef Octopus skimmer then 2 baffles. Next will be my refugium 2 more baffles and then my return section.

I don't think you'll get all that in a ten gallon tank. I've read, For a refugium to be effective, It should be at least 10% or larger of the display volume.

10 gallons, only half filled (allowing for drainage during power outages), divided into 3 sections = 1.5 gallons?

10 gallon sump may be efficient to hold a skimmer and return pump.
A 20 gallon long may allow for a small fuge.

bee505
01/04/2011, 11:46 AM
The bigger the footprint, the better. You may want to switch out pumps or skimmers later on. So if make the sections big enough, you'll have a larger selections of skimmers and pumps to choose from.

seapug
01/04/2011, 12:31 PM
It depends on your drain size. If its a 1'' reef ready I think it pulls between 550-600gph. So you'll want a return that can keep up after head loss back to the display.

+1, but more accurately, you want a return pump that won't exceed the max capacity of the overflow after head loss. Adding a ball valve or T (that dumps back into the sump) on the output of the return pump can let you dial back the flow to keep the overflow capacity from being exceeded but it's a waste of electricity to have an excessively overpowered return pump.

I also agree with the concerns about about using a 10 gallon tank as a sump/fuge. I don't know how all that stuff would fit in there and still have some room to accommodate backsiphon when the skimmer and return pump are shut off. A 20 or 30 gallon long would give you a lot more breathing room.

jeff@zina.com
01/04/2011, 12:38 PM
A 10 gallon sump can fit a skimmer and a return section, no refugium. A 20 long is a better option, if you can work it into the stand, or use an external skimmer if you need refugium space. Or have a second 10 gallon as your refugium.

Jeff