PDA

View Full Version : dosing vodka 4 months now skimmer pumping weak help!

twelvejewelz
01/02/2011, 08:43 PM
Ok so in my nano ive been dosing vodka for about 4 months. Everything was looking AMAZING until 2 weeks ago my skimmer started pumping out at about half power. I do not know what i going on with the skimmer. I took it apart and cleaned everything and still cant find the problem. I literally have the cup pushed down as far as it can go and the foam is barely making it up the neck. I am now getting about a half inch a week of gunk when before i was pulling a cup full every 3 days. My sps have been slowly bleaching and my monticap has entirely bleached and is a goner. My joe the coral is on its way out starting at the tips and making its way down. I have reduced the vodka over the past 2 weeks from 1.5ml a day to about .25ml . What else should i do? Should i just do a 50% water change and take the skimmer off? Give me some ideas as to what you would do please i have alot of very expensive sps that i do not want to lose!
Thanks in advance

bertoni
01/02/2011, 10:15 PM
I would stop dosing vodka entirely until the skimmer is fixed. What kind of skimmer is this?

twelvejewelz
01/03/2011, 02:26 AM
The skimmer is a reef octopus bh-1000 hob. Its on my 20gallon and its a great skimmer when it was working.You dont think it will do more harm to just completely stop cold turkey? Thats why i was thinking of a larger water change. Let me know your thoughts,thanks

Genetics
01/03/2011, 04:00 AM
Definitely stop. If your skimmer isn't pulling much out you may be creating a bigger problem as your not removing the organics being added. I would do some water changed and see how everything stabilizes out. I would not go back to dosing until the skimmer is fixed.

Have you checked the inline hose on the skimmer for blockage?