PDA

View Full Version : Starting Vodka before MB-7 few ???

byrdman81
01/02/2011, 10:42 PM
Ok to make a long story short I am going to try the vodka mb7 method of dosing. Details about my tank are in my build thread in my sig. Tank is just a few months old and as with alot of new tanks Im battling some cyano. I am currently doing about 5 gallon water changes every 3-5 days to help this problem out. My question is this is it ok to start vodka dosing before getting mb7? I have the mb otw and should be here by weeks end at best. I have read quite a few articles on dosing and was just curious as to what everyones opinions are?

mike_cmu04
01/03/2011, 12:07 AM
I dosed vodka about a month before starting mb7 with no issues.

byrdman81
01/03/2011, 12:29 AM
How is your tank doing now with dosing?

shifty51008
01/03/2011, 01:26 AM
what are the benifits to dosing MB7 with vodka? from what I understand you can dose voda without MB7

bertoni
01/03/2011, 05:45 AM
Vodka dosing will work without MB7. I'm not sure I'd bother with a new tank, but dosing probably is safe enough.

byrdman81
01/03/2011, 06:09 AM
Hey Bertoni, just curious as to why you wouldnt bother with it? I was getting ready to ask since I am having the cyano issue should i start dosing vodka or wait until I get cyano under control? I have read that vodka alone can cause cyano so since I already have it it would be kind of hard to know if my dose is too much and if I needed to cut back?

bertoni
01/03/2011, 06:32 AM
If the tank is new, the bloom might go away on its own, or the feeding level is too high. I just don't think it's worth the risk or trouble of vodka dosing when there should be easier solutions.

Steve Wright2
01/03/2011, 06:41 AM
If the tank is new, the bloom might go away on its own, or the feeding level is too high. I just don't think it's worth the risk or trouble of vodka dosing when there should be easier solutions.

I share that opinion

with a new tank, algae and cyno are very common and often can clear up naturally as the tank matures

there may be other things to look at before considering vodka dosing or any form of carbon dosing
flow may be something to consider, as cyno for example seems to proliferate in areas of low flow, which lead to longer nutrient exposure and thus opportunity for the bacteria to prosper

the MB7 on its own may certainly help IME as an increase in the amount of beneficial bacteria it gives you, into a system with obvious nutrients (cyno proves they are there irrespective of test kit readings) will possibly be of more benefit than carbon dosing during these early days of the set up

Steve

byrdman81
01/06/2011, 03:39 PM
Well I am in the fourth day of doing mb7 seeding instructions. The cyano seems to be about 80% gone. I am also about to do a five gallon wc tonite or in the morning. I am also getting some ha in some spots too. Seems I am getting every type of algae u can get with this new tank. I think I am still going to go vodka dosing route after the second week of mb7 my mg is high now in hopes to rid the tank of the remaining byropsis. Would high mg be a bad idea while dosing vodka. My alk is 8 dkh and cal is 440.

killerbee181
01/06/2011, 04:15 PM
I have been vodka dosing for years and I kept one of my tanks over 1500 mag for about a solid year. I did this to get rid of a really bad byropsis problem and kept my mag up to make sure it never came back and I never had any problems with it. The tank ran great and it had a mix of softies, lps, and sps. I did get some really green skim for a long time in that tank lol.

tmz
01/06/2011, 04:43 PM
I would wait until the tank cycles before starting and see no need for the MB7.The tank will produce enough bacteria to use the organic carbon and they will sustain themselves unlike the MB7 which requires on going doses. Been dosing vodka and vinegar for 23 mos in a mixed reef with excellent results in coral vibrancy and PO4/NO3 levels.