PDA

View Full Version : sand that will not get blown around with high flow

d0ughb0y
01/03/2011, 12:23 PM
I'm looking to replace my marco rocks sand with something heavier that will not get blown around with high flow. marco rocks sand are nice and really fine, but not suitable for high flow tanks. I literally have no sand in front part of my tank now :)

I am thinking of caribsea special grade reef sand (1-2mm size).
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+7326&pcatid=7326

is this sand grain heavy enough to not get blown around?
any other options? how about crushed corals?

thanks!

coralfish
01/03/2011, 12:27 PM
I have not found any sand or cc that won't get blown around with high flow pumps...like those in my tank....I just have to orientate them so that the flow doesn't upset my sand

dublo8
01/03/2011, 03:41 PM
The caribsea website will tell you all the grain size your looking for. More than likely you will want something over 2.0. If you want an awesome sand the bimini link is amazing. I just got some for my 40br with 2 1400 koralias and it sits pretty still. I believe the largest grain size is 2.2.

Sent from my overpriced phone using Tapatalk

d0ughb0y
01/03/2011, 04:29 PM
what is bimini link?

Green_Reefer
01/03/2011, 04:58 PM
I think he meant Bimini Pink.

Reeftanker
01/03/2011, 05:03 PM
Im using the Caribsea special grade and does not get blown around in my 40 gal with 2 k2 750s the return and a powersweep.

What size circulation pumps your using will affect it as well.

d0ughb0y
01/03/2011, 05:12 PM
I think he meant Bimini Pink.

thanks. I missed that one. I see from the description that small grain size is 0.2, so it will still have finer grain in the mix. and as I understand it, the heavier grain will sink so the smaller grain will remain on top and then will still get blown around. the color looks nice indeed.

Im using the Caribsea special grade and does not get blown around in my 40 gal with 2 k2 750s the return and a powersweep.

What size circulation pumps your using will affect it as well.

I used to have a closed loop, but now just have koralia 1400, koralia 1050 and a tunze 6055 to get about 60x on my 60 cube. the front part of my tank is pretty much bare bottom now. it would not be so bad if the egg crate under the live rock is not showing, so I need some substrate to hide that :)

I'll probably get the 15lb special grade reef sand a try. I just need about half inch or so to cover the bottom.

thanks.

d0ughb0y
01/17/2011, 12:56 AM
I did not get the caribsea special grade reef sand yet, and found the tropic eden reef flakes. seems to be better than the caribsea special grade. It seems the tropic eden will not get blown around. I think that is what I will use instead.

I have removed probably half of my fine grained sand, probably will not be able to remove 100%. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but my ph seems lower now.

dublo8
01/17/2011, 01:39 AM
LOL yes sorry bimini PINK. Even though there is a mix of grain size the larger stuff actually goes to the top vs. the bottom. The small stuff will eventually compact to the bottom of the sand bed.