PDA

View Full Version : black goby picking at sps

deezmarine
01/03/2011, 06:10 PM
can anyone give me any advice on to how to get my black clown goby out of my tank without breaking it down. i tried to net him and all i did was make frags with my net. am afraid if he stays any longer he will do some damage to my sps.

Acronic
01/03/2011, 06:44 PM
rig a trap, it takes lots of patience and some time but it works. I used an old pop bottle to get a tail spot blenny out that developed a nasty nipping behaviour, put a bit of its favorite food in there.

beeker
01/04/2011, 09:33 AM
Sneak up on it and siphon it out with a tube, thats how i got mine out

bought it thinking it was reef safe and it starting nipping just like yours, after 3 weeks of water changes i was able to get it out with the siphon tube

deezmarine
01/05/2011, 10:48 PM
thanks guys i got it out with a net after the light went out, after words i did some research on them and find out that clown goby eat sps, so it was my mistake for putting him in the tank in the first place

seapug
01/05/2011, 11:08 PM
They don't really "eat" sps, they actually nip the tissue at the base to clear a space for egg laying. It's not really a problem on large, fast growing wild colonies, but can be an issue on relatively small aquarium colonies. It is a shame because they are cool little fish.

Madfronter
01/06/2011, 09:54 AM
What I ended up doing to get two yellow clown gobies out of my tank that were laying eggs on my sps was making a 2 liter bottle trap and then put their favorite sps in the trap. After a short time maybe an hour or two they were both in the trap. I ended up putting them in the sump until I gave them away to another member a couple days later.

jwoyshnar
01/06/2011, 10:05 AM
I seen one at a LFS and it was doing that there. It was picking at a sps and the other was picking on a leather.

ptr13
01/06/2011, 07:26 PM
Trapped two clown gobies in a sinularia colony and net the colony,then they in turn went into the net,they do pick on sps colonies.

Chyendra
01/20/2011, 11:10 PM
Are green clown gobies as notorious for picking at SPS as yellow clown gobies?

I used to keep a YCG in a pico with a pink birdsnest with no problems... They are such cool little fish, and I'd really like to add a green one to my 40gal, but I have SPS.