PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With This Pest... Or Is It?

Felixc395
01/03/2011, 08:59 PM
I have these little purple stick like things off my live rock. They have almost like a web-type substance that protrudes from their tips. They are very small and I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are an information about them. They're relatively hard and rigid. I'll try and post s pic soon if I can get a clear enough one.

Any ideas? thanks!

Felixc395
01/04/2011, 03:43 PM
bump

syrinx
01/04/2011, 03:48 PM
Vertimed snails- or something spelled similar! They thrive in tanks that are overfed. Not easy to get rid of- few preditors. Breaking them off wont kill them. If you just have a few- super glue the ends of their tubes shut. In most tanks they are not a issue- but you don`t want them to become a issue- as I have seen tanks taken down because of them en mass.

ritter6788
01/04/2011, 03:49 PM
Vermitid snails? Relatively harmless but the bigger ones put out a nasty mucus net that can irritate corals. The small ones are sharp and you can get poked by them. I have a lot of the smaller ones in my tank and they will protrude through corals as the corals grows over them.

noahm
01/04/2011, 04:31 PM
Vermitid snails? Relatively harmless but the bigger ones put out a nasty mucus net that can irritate corals. The small ones are sharp and you can get poked by them. I have a lot of the smaller ones in my tank and they will protrude through corals as the corals grows over them.

^^ This is what it sounds like and also pretty much sums up their good/bad. They are a minor annoyance unless they get to plague proportions. Usually this is from ample food in the water column. They don't sting, just send out a crud collection strand to pull in and eat. Imagine tossing out a gooey rope into the street and eating whatever you pulled in...mmmmm cigarette butts and candy wrappers.

Felixc395
01/04/2011, 05:52 PM
Yep. I looked at some pictures and that's most definitely what I have. thank you all very much!!! I'll search, but what are the ways to get rid of these things?