PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis Plague

MattCarm
01/03/2011, 11:34 PM
I have had my 110g aquarium set up for a year now with it's 33g sump. Everything was going fine until about a month and a half ago when I had an outbreak of cyano (first problem).

As soon as the cyano began to set in, I did a 33% water change, and then a weeks later another 33% water change. Since, the cyano has subsided mostly (traces still present), but in its place bryopsis has started to grow on the rocks exponentially. I did one or two more 20% water changes within the last month, but it hasn't done anything to the bryopsis.

I'm suspecting nitrates, but I tested for them and none came up??

Here's a pic of the worst/most concentrated part. I don't want it to spread much past this... :confused:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7152/p1020087i.jpg

110g DT:
-120lbs of LR
-2 x 250w 20000k MH, about 3 months old
-3" Sandbed
-2 Maxijet 1200's w/ sureflow mod
-Koralia 4, Koralia 5

33g Sump/Fuge
-NW200 Octopus Skimmer
-200 Micron filter sock (water coming from DT)
-11g Fuge (chaeto, about 10lbs of rubble rock)
-BRS dual reactor w/ carbon and GFO
-Mag 12 return

Water Tests:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0??
Phosphate = unknown?
Alk = 9 dKH
Calcium = 400
Temp = 79
ph = 8.3

What is going on?

djkms
01/03/2011, 11:47 PM
Dose kent marine tech–m. You can do up to 100ppm per day, get your MAG up to around 1700. There is a impurity in tech-m that will kill it. With that much though I would manually remove as much as you can before dosing, that would be a lot of nutrients going back into the water. GL

Sent from my droooid using tapatalk.

Inexplicable
01/03/2011, 11:58 PM
The problem is excess nutrients - either nitrates or phosphates. Try a phosphate remover such as Phosban in a media bag in your sump. Make sure you rinse or change your filter sock daily. Use a turkey baster to blow off rocks and remove detritus from low flow areas. Check the lamp over your chaeto to make sure it is still good. You could try a sulfur denitrator if you suspect nitrates, but they should be down due to your water changes and your chaeto. These methods have worked for me in the past.

dublo8
01/04/2011, 10:29 AM
Yes raising your mag will help. Also cut your photo period back by a couple hours, feed every other day the normal amount, scrub it off the rocks and syphon it out. Keep doing your weekly water changes and once you have been doing all of that for a couple weeks look into getting a reactor to run GFO. The gfo will not kill it but it will help maintain water quality and help to keep your phosphates down. You have to get to the source of the pro lem and there is no absolute fix, just keeping up with maintenance after doing what i just said is what will keep it at bay. Good luck.

Sent from my overpriced phone using Tapatalk

jpkrze
01/04/2011, 11:38 AM
+1 on Kent Tech M. Stuff works like a charm. I added a bit too much too fast and lost a lot of color on my Zoas. Thery're coming back slowly.