PDA

View Full Version : square back anthias not eating

s ruppa
01/04/2011, 09:31 PM
i purchased a male square back anthias about 9 days ago. i have tried live brine, mysis, cyclopeeze, formula one pellet, formula 2 flake, soaking in garlic, different times of the day, during different light cycles and the fish has only eating 3 pieces of flake that i have seen. this is the first time i have had a problem this long getting a new fish to eat.

they dont seem to be a grazing or hunting type of fish and i have not seen him eating pods or poking around for food

i am out of ideas. any suggestions?

steve

Gary Majchrzak
01/04/2011, 09:36 PM
what's the water flow like in your aquarium?

Anthias need food to be moving in the water column. Squareback's are big eaters- I've had big males take 'Rosy Reds' (a freshwater feeder fish).

s ruppa
01/04/2011, 09:45 PM
i have a dart ( wide open) for my return pump, a vortech mp40, two seio 620 and a i forgot the brand but it looks like 2 korlia stuck together but it is supposed to be 3000 gph. i guess that was the long way of saying a pretty good amount of flow. the food is definatley moving around through out the entire water column.

this fish is pretty large. huge mouth almost like a tarpon

hopefully he is just slowly acclimating, but i am getting a little concerned

steve

Gary Majchrzak
01/04/2011, 09:51 PM
if you have a freshwater fish store near you I would try a couple of small rosy reds or guppies. Your fish HAS to be very hungry.