PDA

View Full Version : A few Sump Quesitons Before I build

chuckawd
01/05/2011, 08:51 AM
(1) I plan on building my 20 long sump with the inlet on the right, return in the middle, and the refugium on the left side. My DT is also drilled using a 300GPH overflow box. How do I get water over into the refugium from the inlet side? All 3 chambers will be separated by bubble traps. I was thinking of using a ball valve off of the incoming flow and tuning it so water slowly enters the refugium and more rapidly enters the inlet side of the refugium. It would basically be a T at the ball valve splitting the water up between the fuge and the inlet of the sump.

(2) If I was to use a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor which chamber would I place it in and would I still use a filter sock on the inlet to the sump?

(3) How do I figure out which return pump to use and how do I plumb it to have better control over the return flow?

(4) Plumbing: My overflow box uses 1" plumbing on the outlet. Would 3/4" return plumbing be sufficient or is it best to have equal sized plumbing all around? FWIW, the tank will be drilled to accept 3/4" or 1" return plumbing as I haven't drilled the return part yet.

(5) Last one everyone!!!! How do I figure out the height of my baffles in the sump to make room for a power loss?

I really appreciate any answers you can offer!! This forum and all of the members are awesome!!! Thank You!!

iwishtofish
01/05/2011, 09:22 AM
A project! :) What are the sizes of your display tank and sump? Can you clarify further on "a ball valve off of the incoming flow and tuning it so water slowly enters the refugium and more rapidly enters the inlet side of the refugium" ?

Edit: Oh, I see, 20l sump...

iwishtofish
01/05/2011, 09:49 AM
Ok, I thought a little more (often a delayed reaction with me ;) ) and have a better idea what you are thinking.

Here's a thread I started, btw, that might help answer a lot of questions for you, too: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1929530

(1) I plan on building my 20 long sump with the inlet on the right, return in the middle, and the refugium on the left side. My DT is also drilled using a 300GPH overflow box. How do I get water over into the refugium from the inlet side? All 3 chambers will be separated by bubble traps. I was thinking of using a ball valve off of the incoming flow and tuning it so water slowly enters the refugium and more rapidly enters the inlet side of the refugium. It would basically be a T at the ball valve splitting the water up between the fuge and the inlet of the sump.

(2) If I was to use a BRS GFO/Carbon reactor which chamber would I place it in and would I still use a filter sock on the inlet to the sump?

I think if space in your stand is an issue, you can partially submerge a reactor...however, it will take up valuable back-drain space and be harder to service.

(3) How do I figure out which return pump to use and how do I plumb it to have better control over the return flow?

Depends on whether or not you plan to feed the reactor(s) with the return pump.

(4) Plumbing: My overflow box uses 1" plumbing on the outlet. Would 3/4" return plumbing be sufficient or is it best to have equal sized plumbing all around? FWIW, the tank will be drilled to accept 3/4" or 1" return plumbing as I haven't drilled the return part yet.

Depends on the pump, although with the amount of gph you will need, I suspect 3/4" return plumbing is overkill.

(5) Last one everyone!!!! How do I figure out the height of my baffles in the sump to make room for a power loss?

See madean's advice in my thread...

I really appreciate any answers you can offer!! This forum and all of the members are awesome!!! Thank You!!

Hope that helps some!

chuckawd
01/15/2011, 07:43 PM
Well I went with a 29G for the base sump tank. Now, if I wanted to do the inlet on the right, return in the middle, and refugium on the left, how do I get the water supply to the refugium? I was originally going to have the refugium in the middle but, from additional research, I have found that most people have the refugium on the far left, return in the middle, and inlet on the left.

MelloW33
01/15/2011, 07:51 PM
You either "T" it off the return line or drain

chuckawd
01/15/2011, 07:59 PM
You either "T" it off the return line or drain

Is either one (return or drain) better? Also, I would use a "T" and a ball valve to control flow into the refugium correct?

jim.l
01/15/2011, 08:22 PM
A gate valve gives you better control, but either works. A Y splitting the flow is less restrictive than a t. Assuming you're running a skimmer in chamber 1, IMO that it's best to split the drain. Why put clean water from skimmer into the refugium? And you're loosing return flow; However again, either way works.