PDA

View Full Version : Never saw a carpet do this before!

calvertbill
01/05/2011, 01:35 PM
In the past I've never had a lot of luck with carpets but this one seems really happy. It certainly eats like it was much larger than its 10" diameter.

After coming home after New Years (I'd been away the evenings of the 30th and 31st) I discovered that my tank sitter hadn't come over that day and the sump level had dropped and the tank needed to be topped off and apparently no one had been fed. So I topped off the tank and fed the 8 very hungry Tangs. I defrosted two large shrimp (one to be cut in thirds for the flower anemones and one for the carpet).

Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the carpet was gone! Nothing there but a clear patch of aragonite. It hadn't moved since I've had it although I'm quite aware of anemones penchant for occasional wanderlust. I searched the tank, moved some rockwork, and even looked in caves but no carpet. It was getting late so I resolved to investigate further in the AM.

The next morning I turned on the lights and there it was, happily ensconced in the same spot it was in before the weekend; the exact same spot.

So I drained 10-15 gallons from the sump to duplicate the conditions which existed over the weekend and lo and behold the carpet closed up as if I'd fed it one of the Blue hippos and dug itself beneath the sand. By lunchtime it had completely disappeared again.

I guess it didn't like the returns blowing bubbles in it's direction because as soon as I replaced the water the bubbles stopped and the critter began to dig its way back to the surface.

Reefvette
01/05/2011, 01:44 PM
Haddons carpets do have the ability to pull them selves under the sand. Its not uncommon.

bradleym
01/05/2011, 02:09 PM
But very cool! If you can, post some progression pics please? I know of their ability to do it, but I've never seen it.

BTW, I like your writing style, and well-rounded vocabulary. "Wanderlust" was a personal favorite. :thumbsup:

Toddrtrex
01/05/2011, 02:24 PM
It is a defense mechanism;

Older pics,

Normal,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/HiddenHaddoni5.jpg

Pretty much gone,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/hiddenhaddoni.jpg

Slowly coming back,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/hiddenhaddoni2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/hiddenhaddoni3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/hiddinghaddoni4.jpg

bradleym
01/05/2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks Todd! Ugh, seeing the dark oral disk on yours makes me realize how many moons I have to go before my green/bleached one is healthy again. :(

It's ridiculous to see something that big dissappear without a trace! Just imagine how many other creatures we've never seen because they just did that when we swam by.

griss
01/05/2011, 02:34 PM
Very cool pics Todd. What was the cause to that one burying itself in the sand?

Toddrtrex
01/05/2011, 02:47 PM
I will tell ya, the first time or two I saw them (( all of my Haddonis have done this )) do it I nearly soiled myself (( just for you Griss ;) ))

In each time, there has been a definite cause; me not being careful with my "gravel vac" and ticking off the anemone, a frag (( or fish )) dropping onto it -- and me trying to save it, and anything similar. Basically anytime that it "feels" threatened it can/will retract.

It is funny to watch it happen with the green one --- since it is hosting a porcelain crab -- the little guy will be scrambling as it retracts. The process can take less then 2 seconds.

griss
01/05/2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Todd. I've had several Haddonis over the years and never witnessed this. Very interesting.

Toddrtrex
01/05/2011, 03:20 PM
Sure thing.

One thing I have noticed, that some seem to be more sensitive then others -- even when they are in the same tank. And them hosting clowns doesn't seem to matter.

calvertbill
01/05/2011, 03:44 PM
BTW, as long as I've had it the Clarkiis refuse to host the carpet, preferring some Ricordia blooms two feet away. Strange...

Toddrtrex
01/05/2011, 03:46 PM
BTW, as long as I've had it the Clarkiis refuse to host the carpet, preferring some Ricordia blooms two feet away. Strange...

Back when I had my pair, they wouldn't leave their S. Haddoni alone.

elegance coral
01/05/2011, 04:00 PM
I pinch and wiggle my haddoni to cause it to retract under the sand, every time I add a new fish. I haven't lost a fish in years, but when I did, it was usually shortly after placing them in the tank. With the haddoni hidden under the sand, the new fish has time to calm down and get comfortable with its new surroundings before the haddoni comes back out. I haven't lost a fish to my haddoni since I started doing this, and the haddoni seems to come through it just fine.

Toddrtrex
01/05/2011, 04:01 PM
I pinch and wiggle my haddoni to cause it to retract under the sand, every time I add a new fish. I haven't lost a fish in years, but when I did, it was usually shortly after placing them in the tank. With the haddoni hidden under the sand, the new fish has time to calm down and get comfortable with its new surroundings before the haddoni comes back out.

Why in the heck didn't I ever think about doing that -- a great idea.

elegance coral
01/05/2011, 05:13 PM
Why in the heck didn't I ever think about doing that -- a great idea.

Thanks Todd. I kinda hate doing it. The tank looks so empty for a while without that big putting green in it. The last time I lost a fish, it was a hippo tang about 6 or 7 inches. I had it in my hand, and placed it in the tank. As soon as I let go, it darted into the haddoni. There's no way I could have reacted in time. That's when I got the idea and swore that would never happen again.

BonsaiNut
01/05/2011, 10:28 PM
In the wild, they also hide in the sand during storms...