PDA

View Full Version : Red slime HELP

MOB1224
01/05/2011, 05:15 PM
A few weeks back I noticed some cyano on my rock. I have done multiple water changes since ( around 50-60%) and scrubbed as much off the rock as I could. It looked like it was working until a couple days ago when it exploded again. What can I do short of getting slime away? I would like to know the cause so if it happens again I can fix it. Thanks for the help:lol2:

gweston
01/05/2011, 05:28 PM
A few things to try... red slime can be persistent... I get rid of mine, to have it reappear a few weeks later. It has only been in rather small patches and likes to cluster around my overflow so far thankfully.

-decrease light period if possible. A bloom could happen with a new light fixture/bulb was added.
-adjust nutrients (tight control on feedings)
-adjust flow (try increasing or redirecting flow in the tank..)
-skim wetter/more, or add a skimmer if you don't have one.
-use GFO (reducing phosphates), and Carbon (reduce pollutants/organics).. or increase the amount you are using.
-with other changes, increase water change frequency for a while until better control is gained.

My understanding is basically light, dissolved organics, phosphates, nitrates can drive the blooms. Flow can help keep them at bay, but doesn't solve the problem. I use a siphon tube (air line with some rigid tubing) to suck out patches that crop up. It seems to work ok, though it will clog up if I try to siphon cyano from the sand.

tchndie
01/05/2011, 06:51 PM
Every reefer will get red slime at some point! Just go out a buy red slime remover from your LFS and follow the directions. Its that simple!

MOB1224
01/05/2011, 07:12 PM
Every reefer will get red slime at some point! Just go out a buy red slime remover from your LFS and follow the directions. Its that simple!

True but if the problem is still there then it will come back and from what I have been told the red slime remover only works once.

SwampyBill
01/05/2011, 08:17 PM
Red slime usually appears in low flow areas. Redirect powerheads to hit that particular area more. As much as I don't like using chemicals that I can't test for, red slime remover did work for me back when my 1st tank was set up years ago.

natedogwv1
01/05/2011, 08:53 PM
i have found that after using the red slim remover and lowering the time that your lights are on it seems to not come back as frequent as well as stop feeding too much.

tchndie
01/05/2011, 08:55 PM
Red slime remover will work more than once! A good friend of mine has had to use it a couple times over the years and it always worked.