PDA

View Full Version : problem algae i've never seen. HELP

ccopelin
01/05/2011, 06:15 PM
I have a frag, system set up with three 50 gal. tubs and a 40 gallon tub they all run in and out of. Two of the tubs contain frags, 1 of them is full of Chaeto, live rock and a 2.5' zebra moray. The one with the moray LR and Chaeto has this snot looking algae that is a real light brown to sorta green color. It seems to string, bubble, and clump. The clumps that float around almost look like balls of crude oil or something. Just this one tub in the system, not a spec in the other tubs. What is this stuff and what do I do? Lots of systems for 10 years and never seen this. If you need a pic or more info tell me plz!
Thanks Guys!

bertoni
01/05/2011, 08:23 PM
A picture might help. How much flow does the tub with the moray have? How much Chaetomorpha is being harvested out of the tank, and how often?

Arthur1
01/05/2011, 09:00 PM
Dinoflagellates? Let me see if I can find a picture and link. Sprung has a pic of the particular species I'm thinking of in his book Algae, but it was "unidentified" but I have seen it a few times and its not pretty. That is not my conclusive "guess" but what comes to mind :fun5: