PDA

View Full Version : OK, went out for awhile, where's my wrasse?

WienerDog
01/05/2011, 08:30 PM
Is this a familiar story. I am new to reefkeeping and decided to get a McCoskers wrasse. I have an eggcrate cover...pretty secure, not alot of spaces. went out for awhile....gone. I cant find him ANYWHERE in the tank. Now, I have two Basst Hounds.
Is it safe to say that I had a short lived relationship with the little fella and maybe my hillbilly basset hounds had sushi?
Or (please tell me this) are the hiders of the reef?

WienerDog
01/05/2011, 09:05 PM
Anyone have experience with MIA wrassese?

SushiGirl
01/05/2011, 09:22 PM
Did you check the holes in the rock with a flashlight? Mine slept in holes in the rock, with a mucous cocoon around it. They are small enough to fit through eggcrate, though. Watch your dogs & see if they keep going over to the floor area around the tank & sniffing around. Dogs are notorious for returning to a place on the floor that they found food LOL.

WienerDog
01/05/2011, 09:30 PM
I am hoping he was just hiding. He was really active all over earlier. I looked everywhere. Tomorrow, I'll move some rock around. I'll be siftin' some hound poop in da mornin'!!

skibum9884
01/05/2011, 09:49 PM
First off, is it just egg crate? You're gonna need some finer netting than that as a flasher wrasse (or fairy for that matter) can jump through them.

I doubt the dogs got to it. Either it's jumped (hopefully not), or hiding in the rocks (a very likely scenario).

sfboarders
01/06/2011, 12:56 AM
I had my mystery wrasse jump out last Sunday. Didn't see him swimming around and checked around the floor. My wife asked if I checked the back of the tank and what do you know. It went carpet surfing. If you don't see it. I'd consider your dogs or cuc ate it. :(

snorvich
01/06/2011, 06:40 AM
Egg crate will NOT keep fish in.

WienerDog
01/06/2011, 07:29 AM
I'll change out my cover. But still my point is, he is no where to be found. I checked the entire floor. My dogs are more than willing to eat anything on the floor. I'll check with a flashlight later.

adamfajge
01/06/2011, 07:31 AM
I just lost a Carpenter Wrasse. I never have the problem of fish jumping theny just die in the tank instead. 2 weeks ago I added a Flame Hawk and a Capenters Wrasse at the same time to my 46 and the wrasse stopped swimming and I saw him all stressed out one morning and that was the last day I saw him. I am sure he is dead by now. This was 2 days ago.

WienerDog
01/06/2011, 07:59 AM
If he's dead in my tank, will my CUC clear him out? Or do I need to fish it out? In my fresh tanks I would have to get him out.

WienerDog
01/06/2011, 08:11 AM
Ive done alot of research. I think he may of dug down into the substrate. Alot of people who have had their wrasse go missing has later founf them in the sand.

snorvich
01/06/2011, 09:05 AM
Ive done alot of research. I think he may of dug down into the substrate. Alot of people who have had their wrasse go missing has later founf them in the sand.

Fairy and flasher wrasses do NOT go into the sand. If he is dead, your cleanup crew should handle the problem.

WienerDog
01/06/2011, 09:18 AM
Fairy and flasher wrasses do NOT go into the sand. If he is dead, your cleanup crew should handle the problem.

Got it. Will keep an eye on my parameters.

skibum9884
01/06/2011, 09:24 AM
I agree with Steve, however in a 20 gallon it is still possible that a dead fish could foul the water.

I'd keep an eye out for him, and on water quality. If you see an increase in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, I'd do a water change.

ktg113
01/06/2011, 09:30 AM
I had a radiant wrasse who hid in the sand for over a week when I first got him

And I have a green wrasse that likes to hid in the sand as well. I had to move my 150 a couple of months ago and we were able to get all the fish with no problem except for the green wrasse it took us about 30-45 mins sifting threw the sand until we found him

WienerDog
01/06/2011, 10:00 AM
I should of read peter eichler's Sticky about species. It atlks about flasher wrasses jumping and egg crate lids. Duh!!!

snorvich
01/06/2011, 06:14 PM
I had a radiant wrasse who hid in the sand for over a week when I first got him

And I have a green wrasse that likes to hid in the sand as well. I had to move my 150 a couple of months ago and we were able to get all the fish with no problem except for the green wrasse it took us about 30-45 mins sifting threw the sand until we found him

Yes, those wrasses go into the sand to sleep or when they are stressed. Fairy and flasher wrasses form a mucous cocoon and do not go into the sand. When they are stressed, they go upwards and jump into the next tide pool. Oh, you say there IS no other tide pool? :thumbdown

snorvich
01/06/2011, 06:16 PM
I agree with Steve, however in a 20 gallon it is still possible that a dead fish could foul the water.

I'd keep an eye out for him, and on water quality. If you see an increase in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, I'd do a water change.

David is correct. I am not used to thinking about 20 gallon tanks. Sorry. :hmm3:

Brickyardgreg
01/07/2011, 08:38 AM
He could be gone. Are any of your fish being agressive towards it? I had a flasher wars that was bullied into hiding for days at a time coming out only to feed. In any case a 20 gal is quite small for that fish. If it's gone I wouldn't try another.

WienerDog
01/07/2011, 09:12 AM
OH YEAH....I found him. He's swimmin' all over and eating like a slob. He's a relatively ferocious eater. He's much more beautiful in my tank than at the LFS. Anyone else have a McCoskers ?? I really dig his personality. By the way, I changed my lid! Wher in the #$!! was he??

niter
01/07/2011, 10:43 AM
I am glad you found your wrasse!

If he is dead, your cleanup crew should handle the problem.

We had a goby and kole tang go this route. Our cleanup crew works fast...one day the fish was there, one day, not.

WienerDog
01/07/2011, 11:02 AM
I am glad you found your wrasse!

We had a goby and kole tang go this route. Our cleanup crew works fast...one day the fish was there, one day, not.

Thats one of the funniest things to happen to me today, thanks!! LOL
your @22...awesome!

SwampyBill
01/07/2011, 03:51 PM
Glad your wrasse turned up...;) It was probably taking a snooze somewhere in the rockwork.

SushiGirl
01/07/2011, 09:24 PM
Yikes, I didn't catch this was a 20 gallon tank. Glad you changed the top, because he was definitely going to jump out of that size tank. I had one in a 3 ft tank & it wasn't long enough for him when he got to flashing. Fortunately, I had a top on mine & he never made it out, but he sure skimmed the surface a LOT.