PDA

View Full Version : gluing in-use sump baffels -help!

spamreefnew
01/06/2011, 11:50 AM
inside my 20 gallon long DIY sump I have three 1/8" acrylic baffles that make up my bubble trap. When I first built it I used GE-I silicone. The silicone is pulling off the glass but not the acrylic. I don't know how this could be, but never the less I need to secure the baffles. I rather not empty the entire sump because It is built into my basement fish room and I have some baby shrimp and a large pod population living in it. The glue/epoxies that I have are, mightyputty,JB weld,goop,superglue,hot melt glue. I would like to use something that will dry enough in about 2 hours so I can return the tank to service and have no chemical leaching. I would really like to use the JB weld because I know just how strong and sticky it is. please advise.:sad2:

psteeleb
01/06/2011, 12:53 PM
consider using this method using EPDM foam rubber
looks pretty slick and got some decent reviews

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

spamreefnew
01/06/2011, 07:45 PM
wow,thats so cool,,thank you for that!:) will be doing this next time for sure!!

TheFishMan65
01/06/2011, 08:17 PM
Not as great as it sounds. I used 1/4 acrylic in a 40 gallon breeder. So the acrylic as 18 by however high. Maybe I am paranoid, but it was in as tight as I felt comfortable, Just don't add ater :). About six inches of water pressure and out pope the panel.

To me it looks like they demo in a 12 inch wide tank and maybe 8 inches of water.

psteeleb
01/06/2011, 08:35 PM
Not as great as it sounds. I used 1/4 acrylic in a 40 gallon breeder. So the acrylic as 18 by however high. Maybe I am paranoid, but it was in as tight as I felt comfortable, Just don't add ater :). About six inches of water pressure and out pope the panel.

To me it looks like they demo in a 12 inch wide tank and maybe 8 inches of water.

I think you point is valid. I have not tried this system but it looks like it would work but only as long as your water levels are all within a couple inches of each other. I don't see it holding for trying to completely seal off a chamber with the adjacent chamber being dry or real low

If all you are trying to do is redirect water flow to seperate the bubbles and trap detritus it probaby works fine

TheFishMan65
01/06/2011, 08:39 PM
Yes, if your heights are all close you would probably be ok. I as trying skimmer section, return warer and refugium in that order. The difference between the refugium and return was very different.