PDA

View Full Version : getting back into the tank world

jgs107
01/06/2011, 04:41 PM
ok guys i just picked up a 280 gallon tank today and i want to do everything right this time.ive been without a tank for just over a year now so im sure theres better everything out there now.my question to you is what is the best way to make sure this tank goes smoothely.what have you found during your builds to be benificial or a bad experience for you.im going to try and take my time but ive wanted to get a tank again for so long i may not be able to wait.i think this tank is going to be a lot of fun.its 72Lx25wx36h.i would like to make this tank as energy efficiant as possible so if anyone knows of any tips to keep the bills down im all ears.as soon as i get any headway with the build ill be sure to post pics.thanks

jason

am3gross
01/06/2011, 07:58 PM
well i will say this... make sure you do all your homework.. research is the big key for me. this reef central site is a big plus. all the knowledge that you can get here is amazing...

now as far as your energy effient question goes.... you will pay for that efficantcy... just look at the vortech power heads!

t-5s are used by lots of people here... me i am metal halides all the way.....

just look around the site and ask questions as they come.... my motto is is that this is the perfect poor mans hobby... not having money makes you go slow in this hobby.. keeps the fire burning!!!!!

good luck and happy reefing!

jgs107
01/08/2011, 03:45 PM
yea ive been in the hobby for about 7 years now just took a break for a while and i was trying to see what people have done like or dislike if they could do it all over again.

am3gross
01/08/2011, 04:44 PM
welll im doing mine all over now as we speak... the biggest thing i am doing is alot more research. i dont want to have to add a fish because they do a specific job, but rather add a fish because i like the fish... i will qt everything.... coral and fish... i want to know everything that goes into my tank.

so patience i think is going to play a big part in this setup...