PDA

View Full Version : Potential Disaster adding a RBTA to this tank?

Kweli
01/06/2011, 07:35 PM
34G Solana, 150W Halide, additional Tunze 6025 for flow

Ive been thinking of adding a RBTA to my tank lately. I have alot of fairly big corals, and im worried a wandering anemone might wipe out a few of them....
What would you guys suggest? Not a big worry, or start to sell some off? I wouldnt have an issue selling the hammer & bubble if needed, but really want to keep the elegance

Mainly my elegance coral that has prime real estate, my hammer above it, and on the right back corner there is a big bubble coral

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af178/rapinis/FTS-Dec10.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af178/rapinis/FTSNov11.jpg
*Note, the big black suncoral and massive green donut coral on the left back were sold... too big

As a side note, since people will ask...
Tank is 6-7 months old, coraline has been growing rapidly lately
No deaths besides the ricordea i fried by putting it too close to the light
Maxi Anemones (4) and Pom Pom's Anemomes been fine for 1-5 months

velvetelvis
01/06/2011, 10:20 PM
I've kept my RBTA clone for about a month now in a 34G Solana, with the same lighting. I have 2 Vortech MP10s with foam covers for flow, and a Tunze 9200 skimmer. So far, so good. I had a lot of stony corals at one point too (mine were all Montipora), but I donated them all to a friend's aquaculture facility before getting my nem. There just wasn't room for them all. Now the only coral I have is a small frag of Acropora millepora, and it's placed well out of reach of the anemone. I've also been very lucky in having an anemone that has never (so far!) wandered--it's stayed put where I first placed it.

Your tank looks nice and healthy, and I think a BTA would like that kind of live rock. The only problem is that, as you pointed out yourself, the tank is very crowded. I think you might could keep a few corals in there with a BTA, but it would be tricky, especially as the anemone grew and/or if it went wandering. You'd probably have to give up a few pieces. IIRC, elegance coral grows in sand beds, so I guess that could go on the substrate, as long as it and the anemone are well away from each other. The only problem is that they can both get pretty big and both will expand a great deal.

Coral Hind
01/07/2011, 06:21 PM
There is always some degree of potential risk. They rarely stay where we want them so they will walk around and can harm corals if the corals are not moved away. The powerhead is also a potential danger as they have been known to walk up into them where they become chopped up.

Toddrtrex
01/07/2011, 06:29 PM
I don't see where you would put it -- without re/moving a lot of your existing corals.

Kweli
01/07/2011, 09:43 PM
Already have some up for sale...

Looking to get rid of all the big ones except the elegance, which i will try to put where the bubble coral is, and protect it with something for a few weeks until i judge the situation

evsalty
01/07/2011, 09:58 PM
I think you already answered your own question when you said
*Note, the big black suncoral and massive green donut coral on the left back were sold... too big

BTA's get huge. I got my GBTA as a dime size hitch hicker and a year later it has grown to over 10" and has been cut in half during this time. My RBTA I got when it was about 5" and even though it has split before it is now over 12" when fully spread. These sizes are including tentacles. This is also WITHOUT feeding. If you feed them they grow even faster like so fast that you can see size increases within a couple days.

clownfreak
01/07/2011, 11:15 PM
I had a BTA in my 25g that stayed where I put it for 3 months, then moved when it's foot outgrew it's hole. There is always a chance that they will move, and they can move pretty quickly (faster than you'd think at least)