PDA

View Full Version : What should be in my CUC?

Nessmen
01/06/2011, 08:25 PM
What kind of inverts and how many of them should I have? I have a 29g biocube.

pwwfish
01/06/2011, 10:38 PM
If you are thinking about cleaning crew I'd start with:

10-15 blue legs hermits

5 nassarius snails

3 or 4 nerite snails

1 small turbo

3-4 asteria snails

You dont want so many that they start starving to death.But you want enough to keep

the tank cleaned up.

SwampyBill
01/06/2011, 11:18 PM
Start off with a light CUC like 10 scarlet leg hermits (usually nicer than blue legs), a few nerite & cerith snails. As your bioload in tank grows, & how well CUC does on algae, add more, including a few nassarius snails to help clean sandbed.. With full tank bioload, it's suggested to have about 1 snail or hermit crab per gallon of water; but that's not written in stone..

bertoni
01/06/2011, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't put any hermit crabs in a tank again. They can get predatory. Also, 10 is huge overkill for that size tank, and will lead to die-off unless you do spot-feeding.

A Nassarius or two might be fine. They eat primarily leftover food, so they're typically not needed, but they are fun to watch. A large number will just lead to starvation.

I would add a few herbivorous snails on an as-needed basis. A couple of Trochus or Stomatella might be useful, for example.

Frogmanx82
01/06/2011, 11:57 PM
I like scarlet hermits and don't find them to be predatory. 6 to 10 is a reasonable number for a 29. They aren't that big.

Nessmen
01/07/2011, 12:06 PM
Okay, thankyou! I'll take this into consideration.