PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse aggression

piusma
01/08/2011, 08:12 AM
Currently have a labouti wrasse which is one of the first wrasses that were added to my tank. He seems to be the ruler of all fairy and flasher wrasses and chases all the new comers here and there.

A very interesting behaviour is that he seems to be after the male of my pylei wrasse pair the most and would often try to make him stay in the corner of my 180 gallon tank. It also appears that he was displaying to the pylei female when I first introduced the pair. I'm wondering if the aggression will improve / worsen if i get him a mate. Not sure if he'll still be busy chasing everyone when he is occupied with a company or he'll be even more aggressive like mated clowns. Thanks for your input!

Steven

snorvich
01/08/2011, 09:50 AM
Un predictable, but I would say it will not get better. On the other hand, not likely to get worse.

blennielove
01/08/2011, 07:42 PM
Not what you were asking... but...
Have you tried rearranging the rock work? Sometimes that will give enough distraction to allow the chasing to stop then allowing the chased male to recuperate and establish new regions as territory in your tank.

piusma
01/08/2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, have done that already and the aggression isn't too bad, no fin damage but a lot of chasing and hiding. The aggressor (labouti fairy wrasse) is simply chasing every wrasses that was added after him (including flashers) Hasn't cause anyone from coming out to eat but the tank is missing it's peacefulness.

Steven