PDA

View Full Version : are my fish fighting?

Meshmez
01/08/2011, 07:03 PM
So i just added a lemon peel angel to my aquarium, and he and my velvet damsel keep flipping their tails at one another. im assuming this is them being territorial, but i thought they were supposed to be compatible? Should i remove one of them? and if so, any suggestions on how to catch them?! they are fast and i have given them way too many hiding spots in my live rock...

Gary Majchrzak
01/08/2011, 07:10 PM
welcome to RC!

How big is your aquarium?

Your fish are trying to establish who's the boss.

Meshmez
01/08/2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you!

Its a 55 gallon. I just want to make sure the lemon peel isnt going to stress and die...

Gary Majchrzak
01/08/2011, 07:18 PM
but Lemonpeels and Velvet Damsels aren't exactly what you'd call peaceful fish..................

Meshmez
01/08/2011, 07:36 PM
ok.. so... should i pull the damsel out? or are they going to work it out.

chimmike
01/08/2011, 08:16 PM
damsels are widely known as some of the most aggressive fish there are. I'd personally never put a damsel in any tank, but that's just me. I don't want some little pipsqueak fish harassing my more expensive fish!

Agu
01/08/2011, 08:43 PM
Typical advice is to change the territory so neither one is dominant. Usually that means changing the rockwork which usually isn't a viable alternative. Better alternative is to turn off the lights and put a couple of items in the tank to change the environment. I used to have a kool aid pitcher with a big smile on it that did the job but even a couple of coffee mugs will work.

Doesn't mean they'll become best friends but it will temporarily diffuse the aggression.