PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to turn off powerheads

donkeys4hire
01/08/2011, 08:27 PM
I want to soak my power heads in vinegar. I think an overnight soak would be best, there is heavy coraline growth. Will my reef tank inhabitants be ok for 12 hours with no flow? or Is it better to soak 1 at a time?

celamb89
01/08/2011, 09:16 PM
i think that 12 hours with NO flow can cause oxygen problems, but if u have a sump, skimmer and return pump that will be running it should be enough to keep the oxygen levels up... and i dont think you'll need 12 hours for the algae to come off, maybe 3-4 hours and then try to remove the coraline

good luck

spartyblaze
01/08/2011, 09:41 PM
I'd guess you would be fine

boilermaker1
01/08/2011, 10:03 PM
I'd do it one at a time. I also dont think it'll take all night to clean them out... no need to clean the housings, just get the junk out of the moving parts, dunk them in clean water and let them dry, then put them back in the tank.

Frogmanx82
01/08/2011, 10:29 PM
Come on people, these things ship 24 hours or more in a bag from half way around the world. No flow for 12 hours is not that big a deal.

dublo8
01/09/2011, 12:17 AM
celamb89 is right. If you have a sump with a return than no problem. If not. do one at a time. If your trying to get the coraline off, do a 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water. Plug them in and let them run for the night. should be bright and shiny as new in the morning.

TheH
01/09/2011, 12:48 AM
I usually do half my powerheads at a time. You can re-use the same bucket of vinegar (although it may not be pleasant to look at).

The CHop
01/09/2011, 01:30 AM
Yes they do ship from half way around the world in closed bags. The minute the water is exposed to air though the nitrification process starts. If you read sk8r posts about acclimating your fish you can see what I am saying.

I would do them one at a time. If you use full strength distilled vinegar you can cut this time buy a lot. I just dump 1 gallon vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket. Put the power head in this and let it soak for 30 minutes (you should hear the fizz). Then run it for 30 minutes in the same bucket. Take it out and if there is anything left on it rub it off with a toothbrush. Rinse well with warm tap water and your good to go. Hour twenty tops from out of the tank to back in. Just my opinion though.

Like the other said you should be fine though. This would just be the best way in my opinion.

Chris27
01/09/2011, 07:40 AM
+ 2,3 whatever...

If the tank has a sump with return pump and skimmer, removing the powerheads for an overnight soak will pose absolutely no problems for you. Think about low and hide tide on a reef, the currents significantly change on a daily basis, allowing for a low flow period at some point during a 24 hour interval. So removing the powerheads for a little while would really be no different then a tide change.

As long as they aren't Vortech Mp's, fill a 5 gallon bucket half way with water, throw a few heavy pours of vinegar in there, and turn on the powerheads. After a few hours of running they will be nice and clean.

Chris27
01/09/2011, 07:47 AM
Yes they do ship from half way around the world in closed bags. The minute the water is exposed to air though the nitrification process starts. If you read sk8r posts about acclimating your fish you can see what I am saying.

Fish and coral are different in that aspect.....fish don't need the high flow generated from powerheads like coral does. And coral doesn't produce waste like a large fish in a bag will. Apples to Volkswagens comparison there....

To compare....a coral in a tank without powerheads for a period of 12 hours is a walk in the park when compared to that same colony sitting in two cups of water for 3 days on it's way to LA from the supplier in the South Pacific.

jwoyshnar
01/09/2011, 07:48 AM
Ive never had it take more than a half hour to get off heavy coraline and clean it spotless.