PDA

View Full Version : Questions before vodka dosing

cfgenesis
01/09/2011, 10:17 AM
Well, one question mainly. What I have read indicates that you need to know where your NO3 and PO levels are before you start dosing. My API tests give me a zero on both, yet I have pathetic SPS growth and a slight outbreak of brown slime algae on my sandbed, even though I run a BRS GFO/Carbon dual reactor.

Should I be using a better brand test kit? If my levels really are at or near zero can I start a low dosing regimen and see how it goes?

cfgenesis
01/09/2011, 06:35 PM
Anybody?

sedor
01/09/2011, 06:50 PM
The reason you want to know where you're levels are is because you want to know how much you need to dose to control NO3 in your tank. IMO vodka does not do a very good job with GFO so to take care of that you may want to consider a product such as GFO.

If your tests are showing 0 NO3 then vodka may not be something you need to use in your tank. Even if your PO4 test is coming up 0 its a false number because the algaes in your tank are using the PO4 which is why your seeing a 0.

bertoni
01/09/2011, 08:21 PM
You could try a small dose to see what happens, although there are some risks involved. Some people seem to be successful with vodka.

Genetics
01/10/2011, 03:52 AM
Do you have any algae other than brown slime in your tank?

There are a number of factors that are related to sps growth. Having alternating current and a good amount of light are up there with low nitrates and phosphates.