PDA

View Full Version : Sensors and floats

SPotter
01/09/2011, 01:05 PM
I want to add floor water sensors and was wondering where I can get sensors and floats that I can use with the apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquamanic
01/09/2011, 03:19 PM
Aquahub.com
Autotopoff.com

Both are sources for floats and there are others.

Waterbug is one water sensor (WB-200). Plenty of threads on that - do a little searching.
specialityalarms.com has a floor water sensor also.
smarthome.com has window, door and humidity sensors.

In all of the above, you're looking for something that has 'dry contacts' (note that Waterbug does but via its controller, not the switches themselves). Dry contact simply means there's no voltage present or required. It works off straight conductivity - open/broken circuit, closed/completed circuit.

SPotter
01/09/2011, 07:21 PM
Awesome! I'll look at these sites. I should be able to get them so I can connect directly to my apex?

swearint
01/09/2011, 07:31 PM
The Apex Base Unit has a Mini-Din8 connector so you will need a BreakOut Box from Neptune. You could also make your own, there have been a few threads. The Box makes it more convenient to hook up the switches.

Todd

SPotter
01/09/2011, 07:47 PM
The Apex Base Unit has a Mini-Din8 connector so you will need a BreakOut Box from Neptune. You could also make your own, there have been a few threads. The Box makes it more convenient to hook up the switches.

Todd

Todd,
I'm purchasing the pm1 module and if I understand correctly that should give me what I need to connect the floats and sensors. Is this correct?

swearint
01/09/2011, 07:57 PM
It has the same connector. An alternative would be to build a custom cable. Utimately, you need a way to connect bare wires to the mini-din8.

Todd

aquamanic
01/09/2011, 08:02 PM
The PM1 just gives you the ability to connect a second breakout box (one on the base module, one on the PM1). As Todd points out, you still need some way to connect all those tiny float and sensor wires to the module. That's what the breakout box does. Plenty of threads on how to DIY one or buy it from Neptune for $40. So whether you have just the base module, a PM1,2 or 3...you still need the breakout box or something similar.

SPotter
01/10/2011, 11:56 AM
would this work with the i/o break out box?

http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/product/80-519

aquamanic
01/10/2011, 12:57 PM
yes

SPotter
01/10/2011, 01:15 PM
thanks alan.

patmack
01/11/2011, 01:22 PM
Do you have any experience with the water on the floor switches? which one would you get?