PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water

extreme5450
01/09/2011, 04:35 PM
i have a 58 gallon tank that is barebottom with no rock just some pvc pieces. two fish inhabit the tank. remora pro skimmer and a hob filter with carbon. its been this qay for months. Any ideas?

Gilby
01/10/2011, 11:44 AM
Have you done a water change? Are you dosing anything?What are your parameters?

gweston
01/10/2011, 12:20 PM
My quarantine tank can cloud up a bit when it is overdue for a water change. It is well cycled and has been running for months as well. It could be due to a bacterial bloom. Probably not harmful in of itself, but may be indicating the need for a water change.

A check for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is worth a try to see if you are in line. I actually stuck a piece of chaeto in my quarantine tank with a 'daylight' bulb over it. The chaeto actually helps keep nitrate levels down and has let me extend my water change schedule a bit. The chaeto even sat in the QT through a few fish med treatments without harm. I just won't ever put it back into my sump.

If you have a greasy surface or bubbles around the edge of the water surface, you may have high organicts/proteins in the water. Again, a water change will help remediate that.

If you run carbon at all, that may help a bit. Siphoning up the tank bottom (easy when sandless!) will remove detritus that can feed those blooms. I do that weekly for my QT. Actually I found a lazy way. I use a turkey baster and suck up the detritus and blow it into my HOB power filter intake. The detritus just gets caught up in the sponge/filter, it then all gets removed when I maintain the power filter.

extreme5450
01/10/2011, 12:40 PM
How big of a water change should I do?

mike_cmu04
01/10/2011, 12:58 PM
I would do at least 20%

rush2525
01/10/2011, 01:04 PM
if your water has just become cloudy lately then it could very well be a bacterial bloom however that normally happens when you ad fish to a new tank. mine is going through it right now, have had it up and running for a week and then yesterday started looking cloudy. i have my clean up crew and two clown fish in there.

I will be doing a 10% water change tonight (112 gallon tank). for yours i would suggest doing a 20% wait until tomorrow and then do another 20%

should take care of it.

extreme5450
01/10/2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah its been cloudy for a few months

extreme5450
01/10/2011, 03:22 PM
I'll try the 20% WC and see if that helps the problem out. Thanks for all your help folks

Gilby
01/10/2011, 04:43 PM
Have you not done a water change in a few months? How long has it been since your last water change?