PDA

View Full Version : What chem kit do you use?

bamf25
01/10/2011, 03:54 PM
I am new to this, and do not even have my setup going yet, but I want to do it right. What chem kit and other gizmos does everyone use and recommend for all their measurements? I know about refractometers, I am just curious what brands, is there a nice complete kit, or resonable electronic system availible.

bertoni
01/10/2011, 04:54 PM
I use a pH meter, which is more flexible than a test kit, and easier to use. There are a lot of brands of test kits, and a lot of problem reports, so it's tough to make many strong recommendations. For alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, I have used Salifert kits successfully, although there apparently were some bad batches of alkalinity kits from them. Elos and API also get good reviews, on average. I would stick with buying individual kits, since the master test kits often include kits that I don't particularly want, like nitrite and nitrate.

NOS2074
01/10/2011, 05:12 PM
I use a ph meter connected to my RKL for PH. Hanna meter for Po4, API liquid kits for general testing , and Salifert kits for more precise testing every other week or so. I am looking into the Hanna meter for Alk right now.