PDA

View Full Version : Help! Corals are doing well

nikecivic
01/10/2011, 04:15 PM
I was out of town this weekend and came back and dose my tank with the normal BRS 2 part. After dosing the ALK, I later dosed the Calcium and then turned on the lights to my tank. My corals especially my montipora are covered in white...looks like its covered in baking soda and they have lost their color.

Any suggestions? I am going to do a water change and change out the carbon.

SoCal LowBaller
01/10/2011, 04:36 PM
test your water see whats your alk.

nikecivic
01/10/2011, 04:51 PM
I just tested my water, the ALK is 10.0 after I did a 10 gallon water change

BeanMachine
01/10/2011, 05:03 PM
I just tested my water, the ALK is 10.0 after I did a 10 gallon water change

where is it normally at?

nikecivic
01/10/2011, 06:19 PM
around 9dkH

Enjoy
01/10/2011, 06:22 PM
Check your mag levels.

letsgofishin
01/11/2011, 01:27 AM
you had a precipitation event... (sno globe)

your calcium/ALK is off...

you should get into the practice of dosing one in the AM and the other in the evening to allow the water peramters to level out after the dosing to help...

also, make sure your MAGnesium is within specs also... maybe reading up on the RANDY's TWO PART or the REEFKEEPING Chemistry article on reefkeeping magazine to explaining the relationship between the TWO PARTS.. (i.e. three parts)

btw: this wont harm your corals or fish... the sno will dissolve or you can filter it out by keeping it suspended in the water column and it getting caught in the filter pad/sock

nikecivic
01/11/2011, 09:27 AM
I thought it had to be precipitation!

I was adjusting my ALK by increasing the doseage to my tank and may have increased it too fast!

Last time I checked my MAG levels there were within parameters when I started dosing BRS 2 part. I will check it tonight.

I am glad this doesnt harm my corals! I noticed the fish were fine but I turned off the lights to make sure it will be okay.

letsgofishin
01/11/2011, 11:29 AM
no worries... it should dissipate after a day or so... gl