PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Sim cable extension

ebius
01/11/2011, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, just got a lunar simulator. I started running the cables to get everything up and running only to find out the cable is too short for my setup. That being said:

1- Can i just cut the connector and run a low voltage cable to make the cable longer?

2- Is there an actual extension cable out there for the LEDs?

3- Has anyone else had the same problem and know of a compatible cable?

I can't imagine I am the first and only person to encounter this problem. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

ebius
01/13/2011, 07:56 PM
Bump.

Anybody?

RussM
01/13/2011, 11:53 PM
Which cable? The power wires from the LS to the LEDs, or the bus cable?

You might be able to use a longer 4-wire phone cord to move the LS closer to the LED positions. IIRC, the suggested max length is 10'

If you need to, and are comfortable doing so, it would be easy to splice in a short extension to the power cord. If you do, just be sure to use the same gauge wire (or perhaps slightly lower gauge)

ebius
01/15/2011, 06:39 AM
I need the cable with the LEDs on it to be longer. I can't plug the lights into the lunar sim box because they will not reach all the way to the utility room from the tank. I may just have to move the box.

cmacld
01/16/2011, 11:00 AM
i had the same issue but i just moved the box instead of hacking into the power lines.. just extend the RJ-45 cable (standard telephone cable). I was told by lots of people that there was a 8' max length, i had to run to my basement and ran 15' or so and have had no problems!
Good luck! If you are new to the lunar sim your gonna love them!!

RussM
01/16/2011, 11:25 AM
RJ-45 cable (standard telephone)
RJ45 is the connector on Ethernet cables. RJ11 is the type on the telephone-type cables used by the controller bus. And they are standard *4-wire* cables; most home-use telephone cords only have 2 conductors.

cmacld
01/23/2011, 05:04 PM
DOPE!!! My bad, typing a little too fast :)