PDA

View Full Version : Stung by a Lionfish

Sloeber
01/11/2011, 12:37 PM
Dear Lord this is awful.

So I'm diving in Utila, about 105 feet down when I spot a huge barrel sponge with 4 lionfish on it. Out comes the DiveMasters spear, but I ask (through hand signals) if I may try my hand at it. Marlo hands me her Hawaiian Sling. For those unfamilar, here is a photo of one:

http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/biller_hi_shaftsonly.jpg

In a nutshell you take the elastic cord and put it in the base of your thumb/pointer finger, then grab the shaft of the spear midway up. Releasing the shaft sends the spear shooting forward a few feet thanks to the spring of the elastic band.

Anyway, first attempt was failure. They may sit still most the day, but they can move quick when they want! Retrieve, reload, aim, and BAM! direct hit through the skull. Officially, I'm now a proud Lionfish Hunter of the Caribbean. But wait, 3 more exist on the same coral head. I attempt to remove the Lionfish (carefully) but fail (the shaft has barbs so the fish can't remove themselves and swim off). No problem, I'll just stack the lionfish up on the shaft. Should make a killer underwater photo with 4 lions strung up a spear.

Attempt 3 was again a near miss. So I go in to retrieve the spear and BAM I'm nailed. I knew what happened instantly, but overall wasn't in much pain. Just felt like a needle stuck me. No biggie. The DM panics (really, really cute chick that I may have been showing off for LOL) and tells me to go up. Nah... this ain't so bad. I begin squeezing my finger attempting to push out as much venom as possible. For the record, blood at 105 feet looks freaky cool - inky black. Sweet, I just made this into a shark dive!

I'm intent on killing the other lions after a brief conversation underwater with the DM (on a slate tablet). But ever so slowly the pain starts setting in. Not but 5 minutes later I'm headed up to the boat. Migraine has set in, and nausea soon follows. I don't much feel like vomitting into my regulator, so I surface.

On board the boat, the pain really starts taking shape. I got nailed in the tip of my pointer finger, and before long it has worked its way up the finger, spread across all knuckles, and working down the other fingers and up my hand.

If I could put it to words it'd be like holding a match to your finger while someone grinds a needle into every joint socket. It's the worst pain I've ever felt. The bike accident was likely more painful, but I was also nearly unconscious. Plus now I'm leaning overboard loosing breakfast.

The boat ride back was roughly 45 minutes. That SUCKED.

Back at the resort I track down boiling water as quickly as I can. In the hand goes. I don't know if it was the scalding water overtaking the other pain, but literally 3 seconds later my hand feels 50% better. 1 minute and its 80% better. Now an hour later and it feels like I severaly jammed my finger. The swelling makes my pointer finger look like a thumb.

After 30 years of aquariums, many of which I kept or helped with lionfish, I was never stung. Never would have guessed it'd happening while diving - in the Caribbean no less. I don't intend on this ever happening again. Ha. Don't play with venomous fish kids!

fastrc
01/11/2011, 12:54 PM
Nice story, Ive heard it hurts like hell. Sorry to hear.Hope it doesn't keep you from trying it again(the lionfish hunting) not the getting stung part.

newreefer2
01/11/2011, 01:08 PM
I am glad to hear you can scuba dive....somehow I heard a rumour that your biking accident made it impossible for you to dive anymore. Great Story and I hope except for the sting, a good trip. A bad day of diving is better than a good day of anything else.

syrinx
01/11/2011, 01:27 PM
Too bad Henry- but it was a fair fight! I have gotton stung by them a couple times- got the migrane-and nausea but the pain didn`t bother me too much.

Sloeber
01/11/2011, 01:30 PM
Nice story, Ive heard it hurts like hell. Sorry to hear.Hope it doesn't keep you from trying it again(the lionfish hunting) not the getting stung part.

Revenge will be on my mind! LOL. I'm headed back out shortly and I'm intent on killing every damn last one of those [profanity] :D

newreefer - I had a high-resolution CAT scan done not long ago and 2 docs told me I wouldn't die from my previous injuries if I dove again. I arranged a scuba trip mere days later :bounce1:

Sloeber
01/11/2011, 01:35 PM
Too bad Henry- but it was a fair fight! I have gotton stung by them a couple times- got the migrane-and nausea but the pain didn`t bother me too much.

Ya, talking with the staff here sounds like it various greatly between people. The ones that have been pricked by it says it lasts about an hour and swelling a few hours. Mine got me good. One spine grazed me and a second stuck me really, really good. I bled like a stuck pig. About 3 hours later and it still hurts like heck. But I'm going back in the water now. I promised my co-divers a lionfish dinner tonight!

:uzi:

newreefer2
01/11/2011, 02:38 PM
Go Get them Henry, they are an invasive species and wiping out a lot of native fish. And they are suppose to taste good. let us know

newreefer2
01/11/2011, 02:40 PM
oh, and if it make you feel any better, I am home because the snow plow didn't show up until after noon and my car didn't make it up the hill even after an hour of trying. So enjoy the weather, too

llewoh05
01/11/2011, 02:49 PM
OUCH!

Good luck hunting!

andycook
01/11/2011, 02:51 PM
You are a disaster magnet.

Reefobsession
01/11/2011, 10:05 PM
Wow..Now you are the kind of guy that could entertain a group of people at a bar for hours with your amazing stories.

Sloeber
01/12/2011, 07:01 AM
Well I do bartend.... hahaha

SimonSKL
01/12/2011, 08:51 AM
Now I wonder who was hunting who:)

Sloeber
01/18/2011, 10:36 AM
One Week Update:

The wound continued oozing puss for about 3 days, then the skin around the area started to die and flake off. Swelling finally reduced around day 3 or 4. Now the wound is scabbed over. Tender to the touch, but otherwise ok, except I do not have full movement back in the finger yet. Still feels stiff like a jammed finger.

NotAPiscivore
01/19/2011, 11:56 AM
So did you at least eat the one [profanity]! I think you should make a spear version of a gatling gun and skewer them all in rapid succession :-) Crazy story. Wanting to barf underwater must have been a little scary. You had good mental discipline to make it through.

I have been told by some divers that they don't wear gloves because you have the natural tenancy to touch more which isn't good for you or the reef. Next time you go hunting will you wear gloves?

fastrc
01/19/2011, 12:52 PM
Makes me want to buy a lionfish for my reef tank, Bad enough i have to dodge the sea urchin whenever im doing anything in it.

Sloeber
01/19/2011, 02:24 PM
Yes, I did eat him. It was tasty and I'd recommend to anyone that enjoys fish to eat Lionfish. Only you may wish to not get stung first. I don't think that makes it taste any better. Once my photos are on the web I'll share the before and after photos.

Nausea underwater isn't so bad. On the surface you have a rocking boat and diesel fuel fumes (no gas in the Caribbean). For me, that makes it worse. At depth the only real concern is puking into a very expensive regulator. No biggie really, but then it must be cleaned thoroughly. Not my thing.

Generally speaking... anywhere worth diving is also a marine reserve (park) and thus gloves are forbidden. You are not allowed in the water wearing gloves and if you are caught underwater with them on you are generally sent to the boat and asked to leave. The islands are getting very good at protecting their reefs. Exceptions obviously include cold water diving - none of which exists in the Caribbean.

But in regards to protection, that is why I wear neoprene on night dives. You tend to run into the reef a lot more at night because you can't see where you are going most the time. That, plus jellyfish are attracted to dive lights. During the day I don't wear protection though. I don't get cold in 80 degree water. I'm carry some insulaiton of my own. I like to call it bioprene. :) But it doesn't protect you from a stinging reef and so I've learned to become a better diver because of it.

Sk8r
03/19/2011, 05:05 PM
Friends, please keep the language PG, including the modified spellings. Kids are on this forum. Your hard-working mods will greatly appreciate the cooperation and we know you can think of another colorful, but passable, word.

syrinx
03/19/2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry to have incurred the wrath- I had reffrenced this post in a thread about lionfish stings.

Sloeber
03/21/2011, 12:09 AM
Lol. I was wondering why this thread garnered a warning months after its last post. I realize RC mods are as over zealous as the parking police on campus, but even that was a bit much. Thanks for the explanation syrinx.

dc
03/21/2011, 08:53 AM
:rolleyes:

Anemone
03/21/2011, 07:46 PM
Lol. I was wondering why this thread garnered a warning months after its last post. I realize RC mods are as over zealous as the parking police on campus, but even that was a bit much. Thanks for the explanation syrinx.

Since the thread was being read again, the warning is understandable and reasonable.

As far as being "a bit much," pot, meet kettle.

Kevin

Sloeber
03/24/2011, 01:13 PM
As far as being "a bit much," pot, meet kettle.

Feel better? :p