PDA

View Full Version : What is this white stuff on my rock?

muhli
01/11/2011, 07:43 PM
Im new here to this forum, i tried getting help from nano reef but it was hard to find, most answers i got were witted stupid and honestly, a waste of time. hoping to try my luck here.

I started nano reefs about a month ago with about a year's research. its a 10 gallon. its now the 4th day of cycling with little traces of ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, around 7.8 ph.

On one of my live rock with i think corraline algae and hopefully not cyano, I noticed this white layer of really thin film over it. I was wondering what is it? is it cyano? or is it some kinda sponge?

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/rznxilusion/P1000104.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/rznxilusion/P1000103.jpg

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 08:08 PM
Probably a bacteria bloom.

wieselsport
01/11/2011, 08:10 PM
At this point I wouldnt be worried about it. It may be some fading coraline algae it may be some sand its hard to tell from the pics. (try taking pics perpendicular to the glass) this will lessen the distortion.

Keep checking your water parameters and be patient for about 60 days

iwishtofish
01/11/2011, 08:13 PM
Welcome to Reef Central, muhli! :) I think you'll like these forums - I honestly think that you can get almost any question answered here, if it's a question that has an answer!

The pictures are not quite clear enough for me to tell (not that I'd be right, anyway) , but I'll guess maybe diatoms starting to grow?

muhli
01/11/2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome. the strange white stuff seems to coat the entire rock. it looks something like taking a cotton ball and stretching it apart so it has web like features?

also is there any way to get rid of it? like using a CUC at end of my cycle?
its definitely not cyano right?

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 08:37 PM
It's not cyano. It's likely a bacterial bloom due to the cycling of the tank. is that the only rock in there? What did you use to begin the cycle?

muhli
01/11/2011, 09:07 PM
I used live rocks, 13 lbs of them and like 18 lbs of live sand (bagged) in a 10 gallon tank.
i just did water parameter check. my ph is now 8.0 compared to yesterdays 7.8. ammonia, nitrate and nitrite is at 0. the thing that i dont understand is that once ammonia reaches 0, isnt nitrite supposed to spike? Should i wait for that spike before adding in my CUC?

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 09:12 PM
Yes, nitrite is supposed to spike. So you did have an ammonia reading? First post says traces, last post says it's zero. If the live rock had no die off, there's not going to be anything to produce ammonia. You can add a pinch of flake food each day until you see an ammonia reading, then the nitrifying bacteria should break that down into nitrite, then nitrate. Definitely wait on the CUC. For one, the nitrite can kill them, and for another there's nothing in there for them to clean up yet.

muhli
01/11/2011, 10:15 PM
Sorry, for the misunderstanding, the first post was based on readings from yesterday. I dont got fish flakes, but i do have fish pellets for goldfishes. is that okay?

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 10:27 PM
LOL You sound like me when I started up this tank. I didn't have any fish food either cuz it had been 6 1/2 years!

What was your ammonia reading yesterday?

I actually missed my nitrite spike because I didn't test for 3 days (was out of town), but my ammonia was up when I left and 0 when I got back, and my nitrates were 0 when I left & off the chart when I got back, so I knew I'd had it. It took a few days for my ammonia to spike, the nitrite spike was (apparently LOL) quick, and then the nitrates spiked. Took forever to get those down for me, but probably won't be so bad for you having used all live rock.

Whether you put any food in there or not is up to you. I would just to be sure the system could handle it.

At any rate, the white stuff should clear up in a few days, it just means your bacteria is growing, which is a good thing!

muhli
01/11/2011, 10:38 PM
oh the white stuff is bacteria? my reading was 0.25ppm for ammonia and 0 for the rest and 7.8 for pH. so over the course of 1 day, my pH went up by 0.2.

I started using the test kit on the 3rd day of cycling. and today is the 4th. Ive red that throwing in a shrimp can spike the levels like hell, should i do that? to ensure i got enough bacteria growing when i start adding my fishes in? m(one at a time at a monthly basis of course)

I also noticed a hitchhiker snail that seems be developing now (its a baby i think) does it help in identifying my location of my cycle?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18170078#post18170078

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 10:59 PM
I put a piece of raw fish in my tank, that's why my levels spiked so bad. It took weeks (3) to get the nitrates down after that with lots of water changes. Don't know if that's common or not, but it's something to think about. Of course, you're setting up a 10 gallon so it wouldn't be as bad doing water changes! When I added a fish, I didn't get any spike at all. You can always add a raw shrimp for a couple of days (or fish food) to spike it. I don't think I'd go the route I did again though because it was such a battle & took a long time for everything to balance out. You'll definitely have to have patience. My boyfriend got antsy, and it was catching so I got antsy too!

You're only going to be able to have basically one fish in a 10 gallon, though, or a couple of very small fish that stay small (small gobies), or a goby/shrimp combo. The challenge with a 10 gallon is keeping the parameters stable with such a small amount of water. I had one for 4 years with a single damsel & a huge hermit crab. I don't think I ever had zero nitrates in that tank!

Will you be running a skimmer or any mechanical filtration on it? I ran a skilter on mine (skimmer/filter combo).

I can't tell what kind of snail that is, pic is just too small, sorry.

muhli
01/11/2011, 11:13 PM
no skimmer, just a hob aqua clear 20. should i just keep on testing my water parameters? if it remains at 0, i think ill just throw in a few goldfish pellets to get some more bacteria growing, is that a safe idea?

SushiGirl
01/11/2011, 11:21 PM
Yep, very safe idea.
And yeah, keep testing.