PDA

View Full Version : Apex and email

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 09:53 AM
I had the email working on my apex before I had a problem that required me to send it in for repairs. (This was several months ago.) I have not been able to get the email function to work again since getting it back.

I have about 6 email accounts and have tried them all with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 10:24 AM
Post screen shots of your email/network configuration page otherwise we're just guessing.

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 11:40 AM
Not sure this will help much:

http://www.captivereefs.com/jim/apex-email.jpg

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 12:36 PM
Do you have a GMX account or have you tried this with a different email server other than your own?

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 01:38 PM
i've tried it with a couple of my own email servers (jimsflies.com, captivereefs.com). GMX is google, right?

Is there a diagnostic mode or something to see what is causing it to hang up?

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 02:21 PM
No, GMX is a separate company and does not require SSL (which Google does) and which won't work with the Apex.

Yes, you can telnet into the controller then issue the following commands (first login):

cons
1 maild
mail

You should then get a stream of text as it tries to process and send a sample mail message. If you want to try that and post the results back here we can see what it says. Also, I would try GMX. Config instructions are in the User Guide. If that works, we can go backwards and see where its failing with your server or just use GMX to forward email out.

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 03:30 PM
signed up for gmx...no luck.

set smtp server to "mail.gmx.com"
port "25"
email auth to "enabled"
username 'used my email'
pw 'used my pw'

I need to figure out how to telnet into the controller. I have no idea what I could be missing here...

I'm trying to get to your apex guide and the page won't come up for me for some reason...it seems I am having a bad technology day here. :(

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 03:31 PM
Use port 587. Most ISPs block 25.

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 03:45 PM
no luck....

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 04:02 PM
Then we need the telnet diagnostics to see what's happening. From your DOS cmd prompt enter:

telnet 192.168.0.50 (or whatever your controller IP address is)

you should get your login prompt.

email me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the guide.

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 08:13 PM
I was able to get into telnet. I'm using a mac. For some reason, I am getting an echo in the terminal window ...every character is typing in duplicate, also getting ^M when I hit return. Not sure if that is normal? Or how to stop it. I typed the commands you mentioned above

cons
1 maild
mail

the first two, I didn't get anything back, the second one I got:

mail.gmx.com unk host

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking I have an issue with the DNS setting. I've got an apple extreme router...should the dns be the same as the gateway?

jimsflies
01/12/2011, 08:40 PM
Yup...dns was configured for a non apple router. Email working like a champ now.

Although in reading your guide, I am unable to reach the controller internally by typing http://apex into the browser. Still have to go with the IP. Is that something I need to configure?

EDIT: Upon further reading, I see I am SOL on using http://apex since I am on a mac. Oh well...my iphone works well with my computer. :)

Thanks for your help today!

aquamanic
01/12/2011, 08:55 PM
No problem. Good luck.