PDA

View Full Version : RENEW cant grasp the idea

reefjunkie42
01/12/2011, 03:36 PM
well im looking into getting one of these but cant grasp the idea of mounting the reservoirs.....im kind of confused about that because it seems the reservoir can only hold about a gallon...is this true? im very confused how it would replace the 30 gal Brute trashcan full of RODI water and the 7 gal ATO res..... i have a RODI with a float valve and auto shut down mechinism from BSR.

GenesisReefSys
01/12/2011, 05:39 PM
Hello reefjunkie,

Thanks for considering the RENEW™ Automatic Water Change System.

You're correct - the metering reservoirs hold only one gallon of water. They don't replace your existing mixing bin or top off bin. Their function is to meter exactly one gallon of water coming out of your aquarium sump, and exactly one gallon of water from your mixing bin. They then discard the "old" water from your sump and replenish your sump with the "new" replacement water from the mixing bin. You simply tell the RENEW™ how many gallons of water you'd like to exchange, press the Start button once, and then the RENEW™ automatically exchanges the specified number of gallons over the time period of your liking. It does this while monitoring water levels in your sump and mixing bin (Advanced and Pro versions), plus it monitors its own operation to ensure that everything is working smoothly. It will detect a clogged pump or stuck impeller, a blocked tube, a low water level, or other unusual occurrence, and it will suspend its own operation and point to where the problem is. The redundancy built in to the RENEW™ is second to none.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

reefjunkie42
01/12/2011, 06:23 PM
well you have basically sold me...1 more thing do the mixing bowls go side by side or 1 one on top of the other? and does this matter? ok so 1 pump goes into a bucket of premixed saltwater and pumps 1 gallon into the reservoir and takes 1 gallon out of the sump via a pump?and continues this process say for 13 gallons a day/week/ month? 1 gallon at a time?

reefjunkie42
01/12/2011, 06:28 PM
and my water purification i.e. RODI and brute garbage can for collecting water is in the basement laundry room and there is a utility sink in there. can the water removed from the tank be directed directly down the drain? and does the waste water from the sump come out of a 1/4 standard RODI tubing or something larger?

GenesisReefSys
01/12/2011, 08:17 PM
Hi reefjunkie,

I think you understand the process pretty well. Your metering reservoirs can be mounted however you like, as long as they are above the water levels in your sump and mixing bin. The water will flow from the metering reservoirs via gravity into your sump and drain. The other thing to consider when mounting the metering reservoirs is pump size; the pump will need to have a flow rate of approximately 1 gallon per minute at the height of the metering reservoir. If your pump delivers a higher flow rate, the flow control valves included with the RENEW™ can be used to dial it back to 1 gpm.

I just want to clarify one thing that I suspect you already understand but mistakenly mis-labeled. There are no "mixing bowls" with the RENEW™; it doesn't mix your saltwater. You also mentioned that it uses your premixed water, so I think you already understood that.

You are also correct in your understanding that the RENEW™ will repeat the one gallon exchange however many times you indicate over the course of a day or week, or as quickly as possible (although there is no "month" setting). The utility sink can be used for the waste water so there is no need to have a waste collection bin. The waste water is delivered via a 1/2" ID tube.

Hope this answers all of your questions! If not, don't hesitate to ask. You can also download the instruction manuals from our website; they can be very helpful as well.

reefjunkie42
01/13/2011, 01:28 AM
also with the ROC unit... what connects to each side of the unit? i read the manual but didnt seem to find the answer. thanks again and me more i look into this the more i like it it seems really pritty failsafe. i just hope the water changing 1 gallon at a time will work out well.have any customers commented on this yet?

GenesisReefSys
01/14/2011, 08:22 AM
Hello reefjunkie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've had some trouble with my login timing out - I think the servers here on RC have been very busy the past couple days (a good thing!).

The two lines on the ROCv™ accept the 1/4" OD tubing for your reverse osmosis filter. The ROCv™ is placed between your water source and your reverse osmosis filter. The STORM™ Specialized Top Off & Replenishment Module then uses the ROCv™ to control production of pure water through your reverse osmosis filter.

In this manner, whenever your top off bin gets low, the STORM™ will refill your entire top off bin with RO or RO/DI water all at once. This improves the water quality over a float valve significantly. Remember, each time the RO filter "turns on," the initial output has a high TDS (lower TDS is better). A float valve and automatic shut off valve method will cycle every time the water level drops enough to open the float valve, meaning the overall TDS "creeps" up in your top off bin with each cycle. In contrast, the STORM™ and ROCv™ combination results in only one cycle of your reverse osmosis filter per containerful of top off water... The result is much, much better water quality. An added benefit is that there is little or no pressure on your RO membrane when it isn't producing water, extending its life and improving its efficiency.

reefjunkie42
01/15/2011, 12:41 AM
hey man your product looks great but why such a short warrenty if you stand behind the product? it seems like the answer for reefkeeping and perfect water conditions..i think the bottom line is when do you guys think you will have another "now til xmas" or something like that type sale. i saw somewhere you honored a sale price of 792 shipped for the pr model? if thats possible id be ordering within the week..

GenesisReefSys
01/15/2011, 07:29 AM
Hi reefjunkie,

Thanks again for your interest, questions, and compliments.

We definitely stand behind our products, and as such our warranty covers any defect in material or workmanship. If there's ever a problem with one of our systems we will absolutely do what it takes to make our customer happy.

We don't have any sales planned in the near future since our holiday sales just ended a couple weeks ago, but we occasionally have weekend specials here and there. Keep checking back!