PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for RO system with ATO for Apex system

GobyGuy1313
01/12/2011, 05:30 PM
I recently went through a massive tank change over and decided on the Apex system for a controller. My question is are there any recommendations for an automatic top off system that connects directly with an RO DI system? I want to get something that is reliable but also works with the controller I already have. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

ToLearn
01/12/2011, 11:49 PM
I personally wouldn't trust any piece of equipment to top off directly from an RODI, but that is my opinion that isn't shared by all. You can read on plenty of threads and even find news articles where massive aquariums have been completely destroyed in doing so.

If you want to try it I would first start off getting to know how to program your Apex. Build a DIYS break out box and purchase some floats from AutoTopOff.com. I use there top float, bottom float, and a sump bracket.(will soon be purchasing a third float for the sump as back up) You may also want to pick up a horizontal mount float from BulkReefSupply so your controller can tell you when the fresh water reservoir is empty. Tie it all to the Neptune with the proper programming to run a pump on outlet four or eight of an EB8 or any outlet on a EB4.

Run that for a while and if you are comfortable with the set up and your programming you can take the plunge and purchase a solenoid from autotopoff.com to feed water directly from your RODI.

I'd caution to have a conductivity monitor to make sure you salinity doesn't slip low. Make sure you know how the system behaves in the event of a leak and during water changes. Know your evaporation rate and how much top off is required and make sure your system could only possible top off a little more then is required if your floats fail. Make sure your trust all the components.

Just my feedback on it, but again do some more research, learn your Apex well and make an educated decision on your own.

Good luck and happy reefing.

CalmSeasQuest
01/13/2011, 08:51 AM
I personally wouldn't trust any piece of equipment to top off directly from an RODI,

+1 Too many horror stories.

I also carefully considered ATO options. Although I love and trust my Apex, in the end, I decided on an Osmolator with Apex safeguards in place (salinity monitoring) to be the safest most dependable solution.

Tunze_Osmolator
Set ON
Fallback ON
If Cond < 34.0 Then OFF
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF
If FeedC 060 Then OFF
If FeedD 060 Then OFF

I also disable the Osmolator during tank maintenance/water changes (FeedD)

apjohnson
01/13/2011, 11:53 AM
The only one that I would trust is the LevelLoc. It uses a float valve for primary top off control, but then uses a backup float switch connected to a solenoid to stop the water flow if it were to get that high.

--AJ

aquamanic
01/13/2011, 01:14 PM
The only one that I would trust is the LevelLoc

I think the manufacturer, Gap Products has gone out of business. Might be tough to find.

swearint
01/13/2011, 01:23 PM
I actually do as the OP asked. I use the Apex to control a solenoid that supplies my RO/DI unit with a few programming safeguards. In addition, I use a totally independent backup switch to detect a max limit on my sump. If activated, it breaks power to the solenoid.

Todd

apjohnson
01/13/2011, 05:10 PM
I think the manufacturer, Gap Products has gone out of business. Might be tough to find.

A quick Google search indicates you're right. The things I read said the company was going thru a "restructuring". I hope someone else buys the IP rights and distributes it...it's a great product.

--AJ