PDA

View Full Version : Clarification about seeding QT

MarinePaethor
01/13/2011, 08:39 AM
So just to make sure that i have everything straight in my head, I have a question about seeding a QT tank filter. I started up a 20g tank with a HOB filter for QT. I seeded the filter with a pad that I had been using in the pump on my main tank. Is it correct that since I used a pad to seed the QT, I won't have to cycle it? Or is there still some type of cycle, even a more condensed one?

Thanks for any info and advice you can offer.

thegrun
01/13/2011, 08:53 AM
No cycle, but you will need to closely monitor the ammonia in your QT and have pre-mixed salt water on hand in case you need to make a quick water change. Your QT will not be able to handle a large bio-load and any sign of ammonia indicates the filter is not keeping up with the waste and you will need to make a large water change. Feed lightly, especially the first week, if you don't see an ammonia build-up after a week, you can back off from the daily ammonia testing, but still check it every 3 days or so.

EllieSuz
01/13/2011, 09:08 AM
When my QT is set up, I use a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge that changes color if there is any indication of ammonia. Found it in a local LFS and it offers peace of mind.

jeff@zina.com
01/13/2011, 09:54 AM
I use a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge...
+1. Ammonia is really the only concern in a QT tank since you should be doing water changes enough to keep the tank stable. Unless you have to treat for something.

Jeff